Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Milupa baby formula

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Meath, Ireland
    Posts
    10

    Default Milupa baby formula

    Hi,
    My 8 month old baby is on Milupa Aptamil formula and, as we are arriving in New Zealand in 5 weeks, I am wondering if I can get that formula there or should I wean him onto a different one in the meantime?
    Any info or recommendations welcome.
    Thanks,
    Mary

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    35,991

    Default

    I did a search and found that you can get it sent to you in NZ by this firm, if you need to. http://www.expatessentials.com/acata...formation.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canterbury, NZ
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaryM View Post
    Hi,
    My 8 month old baby is on Milupa Aptamil formula and, as we are arriving in New Zealand in 5 weeks, I am wondering if I can get that formula there or should I wean him onto a different one in the meantime?
    Any info or recommendations welcome.
    Thanks,
    Mary
    I have not see Milupa formula milk (I know this milk as my first child was on "top-up" with this milk) in NZ. So it is case of are you prepare to spent fortune having this milk shipped over or weaning into NZ's formula milk?

    There few options of weaning milk over -
    1. just swap over to NZ's milk once you run out of Milupa's milk.
    or
    2. If your baby is fussy drinker (like my daughter was with several hypoallergenic formula milks as "top-up"!!) then you can do 1/4 NZ and 3/4 Muilpa, then 1/2 NZ and 1/2 Mupila and go on...

    Here is link to one of supermarket's online to see what they do sell as formula milk (starter). Also they have "follow-on" and "toddler" section too if you look for these milk. Just click onto "starter" to see the list of tins.
    HTH
    Last edited by nippa&pippa; 1st December 2008 at 09:34 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Meath, Ireland
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Thanks for the info and advice. The brands seem to be different to here so I guess the practical thing will be to bring a few tins of Milupa with us and to change over after we arrive. Baby is not a great eater so I might have to mix the two for a while.
    Any advice on which brand is said to be closest to breast milk?
    cheers,
    Mary

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Stanley Bay, Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    We use Nuture Gold (with added Omega oils) and the babies appear to like it.

    It is made by Heinz so I think that it is similar in formulation to Farleys in the UK.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canterbury, NZ
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaryM View Post
    Any advice on which brand is said to be closest to breast milk?
    cheers,
    Mary
    Sorry I don't know this one because I was breastfeeding for 14months with my kiwi baby and now switch to hypoallergenic formula milk.

    Plunket Nurses might be good people to ask about this or other mums who have used NZ formula milk. HTH?

    EDIT:
    From www.kiwifamilies.co.nz
    Formula - which one do I choose?

    There are many different brands and types available on the market, which mostly come into 4 categories. You can try your baby on different brands and you can request samples from the companies- but most babies will settle on the formula that you choose. Be aware of the different types of milk that are designed for different stages of infancy:

    Types of Formula for Bottle Feeding
    Whey based milk / first milk Formula that is suitable from birth, easily digested. This is designed to be as close as possible to breast milk.

    Casein based milk/ second milk Designed for hungrier babies, who are not yet old enough to start solid food. This takes longer to digest.

    Follow on milk A milk for babies between 6 months and 2 years of age that has a higher iron content that regular cow’s milk

    Soya milk For babies who have been identified as being intolerant to cow’s milk - should only be used after advice from a health professional


    Some milk companies advertise the presence of nucleotides in their formula, which are important to the development of your infant’s growth, development and immune system. Others contain Long Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids or LCPs, which are naturally present in breast milk and may be important for brain and visual development and these often are labelled as ‘gold label’ and cost a little more.
    Be aware that baby milk advertising is very powerful – you should obtain individual advice from your Plunket nurse or midwife if you are unsure about which formula to choose.
    I have highlighted bit that might be important to you as "closest to breastmilk"
    Hope that help?
    Last edited by nippa&pippa; 2nd December 2008 at 02:49 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Nrth Wellington from Tadley UK
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    We use Nuture Gold (with added Omega oils) and the babies appear to like it.

    It is made by Heinz so I think that it is similar in formulation to Farleys in the UK.
    We use this too as we used Farleys in the UK & this is the closest one we could find, also there was another big brand here that had a recall on I think it was because they had ingrediants in that wern't allowed & for me I wouldn't want to use a company that did that, but that's just me

    One thing to be aware of though is they are just swapping over from being NZ made to Oz made & it will be a little different (I have had to swap from NZ to Oz & back again & ok for me) but it will tell you on the lids that it is now made in Oz so you wont have to swap yet again when they run out of the NZ made stuff
    Last edited by Georgebulldog; 2nd December 2008 at 03:49 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Stanley Bay, Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post

    One thing to be aware of though is they are just swapping over from being NZ made to Oz made & it will be a little different (I have had to swap from NZ to Oz & back again & ok for me) but it will tell you on the lids that it is now made in Oz so you wont have to swap yet again when they run out of the NZ made stuff
    We get ours directly from Heinz as they sell it at cost to people with twins or more (which is very nice of them). The babies have never had a problem changing from one milk to another as when they were born we knew that we were moving out to NZ so made sure that they didn't get used to any particular formula (every time we went shopping we bought a different one).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Meath, Ireland
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Thanks again for all that. Since I posted message the public health nurse has sent me back to paediatrician and now the little fella has to go for allergy tests! Hopefully just overreaction on her part or I will end up ordering special food I reckon. I will wait for the results and, assuming all well, will try to start him on Heinz before we leave just to get him used to any change in milk anyway!
    M

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canterbury, NZ
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaryM View Post
    Thanks again for all that. Since I posted message the public health nurse has sent me back to paediatrician and now the little fella has to go for allergy tests! Hopefully just overreaction on her part or I will end up ordering special food I reckon. I will wait for the results and, assuming all well, will try to start him on Heinz before we leave just to get him used to any change in milk anyway!
    M
    Oh dear...like you said, it might be nothing.
    However if you ever need any advice or information on hypoallergenic milk, just give me PM to get my attention as my children used hypoallergenic milk, especially my youngest is now on it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •