Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Streetview of NZ

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    If you can see a line that indicates the road you are on, there should be one or two arrows on the line that you can click on to move in that direction.

If that doesn't work, you can pick up the icon on a person on the map and move it to a new location.

Ian
    Thanks Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Kim39 View Post
    Interesting as our address is wrong, they say 154, when its 158.

Kim
    Ours is wrong too. Shows No. 2 when we're actually No. 1.

Ohhhhh, I've just spent AGES revisiting favourite places. (Sniff!)

Heh it showed the street down from us, then the street above us! Thankfully they've not come up our shared driveway. I honestly would feel like that's just way too close.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    Thankfully they've not come up our shared driveway. I honestly would feel like that's just way too close.
    I'm glad you said that. I do think it is cool and a really useful tool, but I'm sure I can'te be alone in thinking it is just a wee bit creepy (creepy is the wrong word, but I can't find the right one just now)

I can see my house!

I just wished they had this 2 months ago... I might have ended up in Merivale.

Yeah it would have been a spectacularly useful tool a while we were house-hunting

Hey-ho! Still a cool gadget though. The shots for the UK were taken last year, and are set to come out soon, so I understand.

hehe, just been sat here with my daughter yelling "Grandmas house, i want to go there"

Hehe. My OH works for a mapping software company and they were quite excited about this. He used it to show his boss where our house is in hopes of a raise when his 3 month trial is up

Its very impressive indeed.

Have you seen "Earthmine", its a newer project that at first glance looks same as Google.
    But they use very very high tech cameras and scanners, to the point in all there photos and images you can get measurements of buildings and even measure the size of your front living room window online!

Its currently not public, but being used and trailed by agencies and businesses etc. Its also going to be interactive. The theory being you could say, walk around a city and click on the supermarket to do your online shopping. Then step back onto the street, walk down to the post office, click on it and go inside to complete some application forms. Walk down to bank and pay some bills. You get the idea, i total virtual world scenario.

Heres a shot of an Earthmine image, the resolution and detail is so high they say you could see the colour of a cats eye sat the other side of the street. And this example shows how the measurements and height of buildings can be checked.

With such incredible detail there will be privacy issues, but imagine the usefulness of such a system! Council officials could go check the size and height of a new shed you've built online!?

EDIT: www.earthmine.com
    Last edited by Leccy-Lee; 3rd December 2008 at 10:47 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast