Thread: Learning Maori Language

Default Learning Maori Language

Hi!

I'm living in New Plymouth as a stay-at-home-dad,and need to reactivate my brain after all day of reading nursery rhymes and changing nappies....

I figured I'd like to learn Maori language.

Are there any good online resources? I don't really have time to visit a class regularly,but if anybody has good tips on books or websites, I'd be happy.

Cheers,

Papu

There was a similar question a while ago. There are several books/website mentioned in the post:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ighlight=maori

Ah well done! Lovely to hear people are interested in learning Te Reo.

http://www.koreromaori.co.nz/

is a great site with exercises and pronunciation.

I also found the library had lots of free leaflets with snippets of vocab for various scenarios.

Smash n Grab, Wash n Go, Scratch N Sniff, Pac N Save whatever you call it, has a fantastic little book for about $15. Gives you really easy pronunciation tips, chat up lines, and offensive things to say to your neighbour if they have upset you.

Māori TV is a great resource.

I attend a (free) night course (2 hours a week) at our local college. Just completed Level 1, earned a Merit (well chuffed) and will be going on to Level 2 next year. THese are proper NZQA credits.

Also consider a home learning course, Mauri Ora, earns you NZQA credits. The resources they give you are out of this world and goes more into the Māori culture. Goes hand in hand with the level 1 Te Reo Māori.

[QUOTE=Papu;265744]Hi!

I'm living in New Plymouth as a stay-at-home-dad,and need to reactivate my brain after all day of reading nursery rhymes and changing nappies....

I figured I'd like to learn /QUOTE]

I am stay-at-home-mum and I have already started Horticulture courses during evenings and some sat mornings since septemeber...you will be amaze how much refreshing you feel after few hours by just walk away from home and leaving kids with OH to learn after spend 24/7 with kids.
    Good Luck!