Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Medicals done today - high blood pressure, problem?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    151

    Default Medicals done today - high blood pressure, problem?

    Hi all,

    first post and all that, but I have been reading these boards for a few weeks now.

    Got my medicals all done today, X-ray, medical, and blood tests! Glad to have it out the way at least.

    However, it seems my blood pressure is a bit high (150?) so I am bit concerned about the effect this might have on my application, as well as in general! I did get the extra blood tests because of it (glucose and fasting lipids). Not sure what is next though, does it depend on the outcome of those tests? If it turns out I do have legitimately high blood pressure, what happens then - do I need to see a GP for treatment and then get more tests? Can I lodge my application at this time, and prove that the pressure has been lowered at a later date? Or do I need to hold back on the application?

    I am a bit overweight I guess so I would imagine my diet and general lack of intense exercise hasn't helped. I was also stressing a bit about the whole medical issue so I imagine this may have raised it further?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    44N to 43S; Oregon to ChCh
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    I don't know that they would worry about your BP if everything else is fine. 150 isn't that high really. I think they would worry if it was much higher though or if you have other risk factors in your blood work.
    Is that BP normal for you or was it higher for your medical? Some people get tense and have their BP go up just for the doctor. If you can practice getting it done and see if that is normal.
    With a BP at that level some exercise should bring it down to below 130 easily.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    I don't know that they would worry about your BP if everything else is fine. 150 isn't that high really. I think they would worry if it was much higher though or if you have other risk factors in your blood work.
    Is that BP normal for you or was it higher for your medical? Some people get tense and have their BP go up just for the doctor. If you can practice getting it done and see if that is normal.
    With a BP at that level some exercise should bring it down to below 130 easily.
    I really have no idea what my normal BP is, I have not had a medical for about 8 years although I do seem to recall it being mentioned that my blood pressure was a little high, but nothing to worry about. Was not given figures though.

    I was definitely stressing a bit for the medical so I imagine this has had some kind of effect but the doc did give me 5 mins to calm down and tried again with slightly better results the second time, but not good enough to avoid the extra tests.

    I almost fainted at the blood test as well so a stressful day all round for me!!

    I don't know what the 150 was over, but the implication seemed to be it was just the 150 that was the issue, and not the other part of the reading.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    44N to 43S; Oregon to ChCh
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Well the top number is the systolic pressure and is based on the contraction and expulsion of blood from your heart. This is the top pressure your arteries are under. The bottom number (diastolic) is the blood filling your heart back up. This is the minimum pressure your arteries are under.The bottom number isn't usually an issue at all.

    So if the top number is high that's the stress your arteries are under an you want them to be under less stress.
    If that is the worst of your problems (nothing more comes back on blood tests) then BP is easily controlled via medication and/or moderate exercise ( try going for some walks) and possibly diet change. it's a very treatable thing so I doubt the medical assessors will have too much of a problem with it. You may need further tests or treatment but if you can get it down by the next time they are likely to ask you about it all the better.

    Good luck (oh and welcome )

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cambs,UK to Dunedin, NZ
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Hiya

    OH was diagnosed with high BP about a year ago and has received treatment since. In conjunction with this, he's a little overweight [but ok for medical purposes], is a smoker and is also on meds for high Cholesterol. The panel Dr. indicated that his BP was a bit high but ok. Obviously, we declared this. Although the Dr. suggested that this would not likely be problematic, his medical was referred to the Medical Assessors at NZIS. We had to provide a report from his GP about each of the health issues, concerning the course of the conditions and detailing his present health, any treatment, expected prognosis, any residual problems and any other relevant information. The GP was great and did us a letter for nothing!

    GP's generally risk assess conditions such as these. If it's just a spot of high blood pressure, there'll probably not be a problem but it may well be worth you popping into your GP to discuss anyway. This will give you peace of mind if nothing else. If there are any other problems, this will obviously increase your risk score. I believe that they tend to look at treating if you score around 20% or above.

    I don't want to scare monger you but ultimately, it's your health. If there are any other problems, it's best to get them identified and treated. Also, if problems come up in the medicals, bloods etc. you'll have the heads up!

    Good luck

    Sue
    xx

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Cheers people.

    As far as I can gather, it's easily treatable, and at the moment I am trying to lose a few kgs anyway (and do seem to have lost about 5kg in the last 3 months or so) so I am cool with that aspect of things.

    My main concern at this moment, is just how much of a problem this could cause with the application. My visa runs out at the end of Feb so I still have plenty time (can someone agree with this to make me feel better?!) and as far as I can tell, I could still stay in the country as a tourist (UK citizen) for up to 6 months with no visa at all? Obviously I don't want that to happen as any money I have would soon disappear if I wasn't able to work!

    I guess I will just need to wait on the results and take it from there, not a lot else can be done.

    The other issue is that I am just here on a working holiday visa and as such do not have a GP - anyone got any advice on that issue, i.e. costs etc?

    edit - I should also point out I am applying for a 12 month work permit via the partnership route (got a Kiwi gf), this is NOT an application for permanent residency. Not sure if this will make them slightly less concerned at the state of my health since 'technically' I will be gone in a year (even though the plan is to extend further at that stage)?
    Last edited by Jock_Tamson; 5th December 2008 at 08:43 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    44N to 43S; Oregon to ChCh
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    I don't think you can piggyback a tourist visa on the back of a WHV? I may be wrong though...
    If in doubt of your time line you may want to look into a BUNAC visa (similar to WHV).
    I'm not sure if you will have enough time, but what I was told is that if you apply from inside the country but your visa doesn't come through in time you are allowed to stay but it is like you are on a visitors visa. Not allowed to work etc. I applied for a partnership work visa as well (OH had a job offer and then work visa; we are still en route to PR).

    As for GP's, I pay about $57 per visit for checkups and things as I am not enrolled with the office. If I was enrolled I would pay around $30 per visit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Back in Sth Canty ex Vancouver
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Hi Jock

    My Hubby, was recently granted a work visa based on Partnership. When he went for his medical he found out his BP was high (175 over 105). We had also played in a Softball tourney (read: copious amounts of alcohol) which affected his Liver function tests. He's also slightly overweight. We received notification that his medical had been sent to NZ for assesment. In the meantime I emailed the Visa Officer and asked if we should prove that the BP had been taken care of (consequently we went to the GP as he didn't know about his BP previously. The officer told us that if they required further info on that, he would get in touch with me. Finally, the assessor sent back with a cleared medical, but told us that if we were to apply for further visas (which we will be applying for his PR when we get there (in three weeks - wahoooooo), that it is most likely that he will be required to have another medical done, and not have his application based on the previous medical.

    It was a bit of a pain, but we did wait it out. Having said that, if it happens to come back with a red flag, I'm sure at that point the Visa Officer will be able to advise you on adding an amendment, based on seeing a doctor and getting BP under control.

    Cheers
    Caniwi

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caniwi View Post
    Hi Jock

    My Hubby, was recently granted a work visa based on Partnership. When he went for his medical he found out his BP was high (175 over 105). We had also played in a Softball tourney (read: copious amounts of alcohol) which affected his Liver function tests. He's also slightly overweight. We received notification that his medical had been sent to NZ for assesment. In the meantime I emailed the Visa Officer and asked if we should prove that the BP had been taken care of (consequently we went to the GP as he didn't know about his BP previously. The officer told us that if they required further info on that, he would get in touch with me. Finally, the assessor sent back with a cleared medical, but told us that if we were to apply for further visas (which we will be applying for his PR when we get there (in three weeks - wahoooooo), that it is most likely that he will be required to have another medical done, and not have his application based on the previous medical.

    It was a bit of a pain, but we did wait it out. Having said that, if it happens to come back with a red flag, I'm sure at that point the Visa Officer will be able to advise you on adding an amendment, based on seeing a doctor and getting BP under control.

    Cheers
    Caniwi
    Thanks for that. I guess at this stage having to get another medical at the end of next year wouldn't be the end of the world, and I do PLAN to be a bit healthier by that point

    Seems your husband's BP was quite a bit higher than mine so hopefully a good sign for my application.

    Did the GP do anything when you went there?

    How long did this all take from start to finish by the way? I am fairly confident I won't be booted out the country if I don't get it done in time, but I don't want to be out of work for too long either!

    edit - I see from your signature that it took nearly 3 months to get it done, slightly worrying as I am not sure mine will be lodged by the end of the year. I am still to sort out my police check - I guess I should've done that by now really, will get it sent off this week.
    Last edited by Jock_Tamson; 8th December 2008 at 08:36 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Back in Sth Canty ex Vancouver
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_Tamson View Post
    edit - I see from your signature that it took nearly 3 months to get it done, slightly worrying as I am not sure mine will be lodged by the end of the year. I am still to sort out my police check - I guess I should've done that by now really, will get it sent off this week.

    Well, Jock, to keep your hopes alive.......while our application was in process, they ended up being down in staff (I think it was a bit of a shock, as they emailed me back stating they were sorry for the delay, but the leaving of an officer had slowed the processing time down). I believe they sent the medical to NZ a day or two after they recieved it and got it back in about 4 weeks. Our delay was at this end - the time between them receiving the medical back and granting the visa, to the time they sent it to us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •