Thread: Import Tax/Duty if Arriving Prior to Obtaining Residency

Default Import Tax/Duty if Arriving Prior to Obtaining Residency

Hi all....thought I would make this a separate post since it was a bit off-topic in the thread I originally posted it to.....

The big question is whether we will get hit with big customs taxes/duty fees if our shipment arrives in NZ prior to the time we obtain residency or a LTWV. So if you anyone out there who does not have residency or a LTWV and has already done this (or who will soon be having your stuff arrive), please let us know how you got (or get) along. Did you get charged tax/duty? If so, how much did they charge you?

We definitely will be arriving in NZ prior to obtaining residency or LTWV (we arrive in January but just got selected from the Pool on Sep 15) and so we are concerned we will be hit with big customs fees for tax/duty. I have heard from some people that as long as the items are used, don't worry about it, but official Customs policy (and the Customs people I called) say differently (no residency or 2-year work visa, no exemption from tax/duty). So we are wondering, do we need to put everything in storage in the US prior to shipping, so our stuff does not arrive until after we (hopefully :hopeso ) get residency? Assuming we get our invitation to apply in 12 weeks (mid-December) and then assuming it takes 3-6 months to consider our application, we could be talking about living in NZ without our belongings until March or even June! :eek

So anyone with insight, please share your thoughts!! Thanks!

Melissa

Hi Melissa. I think I read on this very forum, that you can in fact put your stuff into storage once it has arrived in NZ, if you want to avoid duty.

I think you can still import your personal effects but you may have to pay a customs bond fee until you get your LTWV or PR sorted out.

Karl

PS This is refunded once you have LTWV or PR.

Thanks Karl and Timbo, that is great news. I do not mind paying the bond as long as I can get it back when (if) we get residency or a LTWV!

No, No, No ! This can't be happening to me! :eek :eek :eek We will be going over on a general work visa/permit as we didn't want to provide 2 medicals and 2 police certs! We were selected on 18/08/04 and :hopeso will get our residency around jan/feb time. Not one removals company has warned me about this and we only chose the most well known :eek

Can anyone tell me what this bond process is, how much is it and what do we have to do and when do you get your bond back and what happens if it all goes pear shaped and you don't get residency! :eek :eek :eek Seems to me this is how NZ keeps their retail business booming! I hope I am not leaving Rip Off Britain for Rip Off New Zealand but at least I won't have to see Tony B everytuime I switch on the TV

Michelle

I asked on another forum a similar question, but from the point of view that my stuff would arrive long after me, when the house is sold and the rest of the family comes.

one post I received (from DK1 - thanks!) said

Household and other effects(other than motor vehicles, ships, and aircraft) will be admitted free of duty and tax and without import licence when meeting all of the following requirements :

The goods are for your own personal use.

First time immigrants:

you are coming to New Zealand with the intention of taking up permanent residence

you have owned and used the goods before the date of your departure for New Zealand.
    the manual they got it from was

http://www.abda-excessbaggage.com/ab...newzealand.htm

I hope this might help, for me the key phrase is

intention of taking up permanent residence
    which to me means you may or may not actually have it, but your intention is to get it. Not sure how NZ customs might view it though

cheers

alex

I would say that you won't have a problem. They are so used to it from the customs point of view that as long as you intend to live here you should be ok