Thread: Ikea & West Elm Furniture

Default Ikea & West Elm Furniture

In the US, almost all of the furniture I have purchased has come from either Ikea or West Elm. Does anybody know if either of these two stores have a presence in NZ or has anybody had furniture shipped from them?

Or is there any furniture store in NZ or OZ for that matter that has stylings like Ikea or West Elm?

Thanks,

Dan

Ikea are still trying to find a suitable location for a store in NZ (there was talk some months ago of a site in Auckland) But they do have a presence in Australia so you could probably ship stuff from there.

No idea about west elm, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    Ikea are still trying to find a suitable location for a store in NZ (there was talk some months ago of a site in Auckland) But they do have a presence in Australia so you could probably ship stuff from there.

No idea about west elm, sorry.
    Thanks Flutterby. West Elm is just like Ikea, but their stuff is of much better build quality, albeit its a bit pricier.

About the closest place I've seen to IKEA in NZ is Freedom Furniture

Ian

I too am completely obsessed with Ikea and panicking over the idea of not having one around. They have made several appeals to the city of Auckland to let them build one in the city, in various locations, and the city has turned them down each time on the grounds that it would cause too much congestion. (The other theory is that Ikea will not build an outlet in a city of less than two million people due to the investment required in setting one up, but I'm not sure how true this is.)

However, there is at least one person who has hired a shipping company to build her a crate and import a full Ikea kitchen over from Australia. You can read her blog post about it here. So it is at least possible!

Thanks for the link BDG. I will say that Freedom Furniture is pretty sharp. I'm going to check that out. Plus, I'm sure there are other furniture places in that modern style I like in ChCh.

I will be shipping some stuff from Oz though. I just haven't gotten around to that point yet.

I've heard on the grapevine, before comming to NZ that Ikea are opening two stores next year with one in Auckland the other Welly or Christchurch