Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can you grow lemons AND olives?

Default Where can you grow lemons AND olives?

Trying to figure this out.

Hope there's people from all over NZ who can answer this.

Be particularly interested to know of parts South/West where this is possible.

Rob

I dont know about lemons and olives Rob, but the place we stayed up the Coromandel had a Banana palm in the yard. It did yield fruit every year, but never got them to full ripeness. I am guessing the climate requirements would be about the same for lemons etc.

We had a large lemon tree in our last rental.

We use to have them sliced in our coke cola yummy

We are situated in the middle of the North Island

Jules

Well, Ive got a lemon tree in my front yard in Christchurch, and a grapefruit tree. I can't answer definatively for the olives, but pretty sure I saw a lifestyle block with an olive grove (orchard??) for sale in the canterbury region once.

Lemons grow in Wellington all year round - I've got a 'gin & tonic tree' in our garden (and a grapefruit). with regards to olives - we do have an olive tree but it doesn't have any olives on it - we're going to have to wait & see on that one.... anyone in Welly had any luck with olives? I'd also be interested to know!

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Lemons, and other citrus, grow almost anywhere, and are now classified as a pest plant in the Auckland region, due to there being so many of them, and because no one ever uses the ones they have on their trees.

Ok, that last bit is not quite true! :mrgreen:

As for olives, most of New Zealand's thirty, or so, plantations are in the South Island, in particular, around the Nelson, Blenheim region.

Next door neighbours lemon tree is about to yield its second load of lemons since we arrived in Sept. And our grapes are coming along nicely too

As for olives - check out this link: http://www.olivesnz.org.nz/

Interesting link about the olive industry in NZ. Upon checking it out, we saw that there's a branch in Central Otago (with a Dunedin address). That is a pleasant surprise - to see olive action that far south. Curious to know if citrus grows around there as well...

Rob

We are in havelock north, hawkes bay and our garden backs onto a olive orchard, we also have a couple of lemon trees in our garden, as do a lot of our neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob K
    Interesting link about the olive industry in NZ. Upon checking it out, we saw that there's a branch in Central Otago (with a Dunedin address). That is a pleasant surprise - to see olive action that far south. Curious to know if citrus grows around there as well...

Rob
    We have a young lemon tree in our Dunedin garden, and had one good fruit off it this summer. I'm not totally if it will survive the winter, but our garden seems to be reasonably frost resistant so hopes are high.

Shouldn't really be too much of a surprise about olives in central otago, it has the hottest temps in NZ over the summer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast