Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: end of year/christmas gift for teachers?

Default end of year/christmas gift for teachers?

I know in UK we do this, give a small gift like box of chocolate or soap etc to primary school teacher to say thank you for teaching our child(ren) as well as celebrate christmas.

Is this same in NZ too? is teacher expect a small gift? My son is finishing school next week for summer holiday/christmas.
    Thanks

I can only comment on the fact that my year 10 High School daughter came home in a bit if a tizz yesterday because the lunch time conversation between her and her friends turned on to what gifts they had all bought for their teachers. She was aghast, we hadn't even thought of it, since we pretty much stopped giving teachers gifts when she reached secondary school in the UK. Of course I can't say if this is just this particular school, and this particular friendship group, or if it is a typical NZ custom......but I'm going to be making chocolate truffles for hald a dozen teachers today

We've ended up buying a small box of Roses at the end of each year

We clubbed together last year (a group of parents) and bought our children's teacher a beauty therapy treatment.

As a primary school teacher, I never expect anything but invariably will get chocolate, mugs, apple-shaped things etc.

My son and I make a chocolate cake and piped a message on top
    (bit rough) but the teacher was so pleased they all shared it in the staff room.
    She gave him a card thanking him in the new term and said nobody had made her a cake as a gift before.
    It was really sweet.
    Ada

My very first gift as a teacher was 2 pairs of nylon frilly knickers (about 2 sizes too small)

My favourite was a box of freshly dug up veg out of their garden or a box of freshly laid eggs from their chickens.

usual gifts are chocolates, bottle of wine, candles.

I always write a little thank you note to say thanks to the children (and their parents)

My kids are making their teachers a rich choccolatly cake thing and putting pieces in home made decorated boxes. If they are on diets, I reckon they will just give it to their other halves. We did the same in the UK and it always went down a treat. Let's hope so here. I'll also write a card to each teacher thanking them for their energy, input etc. As a teacher myself, it means alot if parents actually say in words that they appreciate your efforts.

Does anyone do anything for kindy?

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    Does anyone do anything for kindy?
    I was just thiking the same for pre-school but wee man has 3 or 4 teachers plus older one at school has 2 teachers - tis going to be a lot of gifts

Gosh if only I could bake more than banana bread and muffins and even they look a bit dodgy Actually that's a thought anyone got a nice easy chocolate truffle recipe or something.....

Karenx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast