Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: typical NZ xmas day

Default typical NZ xmas day

what do kiwis do on xmas day? do they eat the same as in the UK? do they go out for the day as the weather is better than here?
    do expats celebrate differently to homegrown kiwis?
    answers on a forum please...

BBQ at the beach, big dinners at home, all the usual stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
    BBQ at the beach, big dinners at home, all the usual stuff.

i always pop to the beach for a barbie

We're having a bbq but I'm cooking a ham as well - I just can't not have a hunk of meat for leftover sandwiches!

My parents are visiting from Ireland and my in-laws will come down from Wanganui. We'll go to church in the morning, have a walk somewhere in the afternoon and maybe some cricket on the beach and have an early evening bbq and lots of wine.

From what I've heard that's a fairly typical kiwi Christmas.

BBQ and lots and lots of drink!
    Maybe go out if we're still standing!

Nick.

Full turkey dinner for us normally although this year it seems that Turkey prices have gone up 60% on last year so may have to rethink that one. Would like to have the barbie but last 2 years it's rained full on so had to rethink that one

We've decided on a bbq this christmas day and have the traditional lunch on NY day when the family arrive.

SO excited now, 16 days until they arrive, its been 20mths since we last saw them.

Sharon
    x

Our (kiwi) next door neighbours usually do the full Xmas lunch! (although not this year as their kids and grandkids have moved to perth and we are living in their house now - the kids house not the neighbours!)

This will be my first kiwi Christmas, so I have no idea what's traditional. But we've decided to go all out to avoid the traditional English Christmas...it would be just too weird eating roast turkey in warm without and, more importantly, without the extended family all wearing silly hats and squabbling around the table. So we're off to the beach, BBQ on Christmas Eve, champagne and a picnic on Christmas day.....so I really hope that the rain holds off or else it could be a wash out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    This will be my first kiwi Christmas, so I have no idea what's traditional. But we've decided to go all out to avoid the traditional English Christmas...it would be just too weird eating roast turkey in warm without and, more importantly, without the extended family all wearing silly hats and squabbling around the table. So we're off to the beach, BBQ on Christmas Eve, champagne and a picnic on Christmas day.....so I really hope that the rain holds off or else it could be a wash out.

Tis exactly what we plan to do too - to be honest I'm looking forward to not cooking huge amounts of food for drunken rellies We are having some friends round on boxing day for a few wee vinos which was something of a tradition for us in Scotland - I think to help me recover from the rellies
    I am also doing a stint at local community event providing crimbo dinner for folks who would normally be on their own too which will be a first for me but am looking forward to it

Karenx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast