Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Singapore Airlines Baggage Policy...UK>NZ

Ah bummer.

Thanks for the info.

Diny

there is of course the old tricks you can play.

While you check your baggage in your relatives or whoevert are waving you off hold the majority of your hand luggage. laptop etc. You can also take dvantage of the shops at the airport for there is no limit of shopping bags you can carry on.

I noticed last week that baggage handlers wont handle over 32kg full stop, now wether this is just BA policy I don't know.

Dan

they usually allow a laptop and a small holdall, best thing is to check with them by email and keep a copy.
    Linda, its not that they check all the weight or dimensions of the cabin luggage its just that they set those rules for the safety and comfort of all passengers. The airline ground staff are used to seeing the bags and can usually tell at a glance whats too big. weight is a different thing, they just have to trust people, although I have seen them make people put the cabin bags on the weighing platform. Trudie, our eldest daughter used to be a checkin agent and the abuse and battles she has had with people who want to believe the rules are only made for other people. I have in the past seen the overhead lockers flip open during turbulance and this has made me a bit more sensitive about the weight issue. Just imagine 7kg falling on your head, let alone 10 or 11.

We carefully packed out stuff to ensure we stayed within the limits, if everyone tried to get on with as many bags as possible it would be a total nightmare!! :?

The check-in staff are much more likely to overlook a small amount of excess weight in the main luggage items.

Another forum I visit had a similar thread - this was a post from someone who claimed to be in the know somewhat re the luggage handlers :? The forum is more to do with holiday passengers, not people emigrating lock, stock and kitchen sink across the world. BUT, if they're not handing out huge extra allocations for immigrants then I guess we're in the same boat... sorry, plane. :P

I might not be too popular in saying this, but why do people take so much luggage? i'm talking in general here.
    I'm sure most of us probably take the standard 20kg, or thereabouts, which in my opinion is more than enough, unless your missus is Imelda Marcos. But at the airport i often see massive cases which people can hardly move, and i suppose in their pea sized brains they think that Arnie must work in baggage, and enjoys lifting all these cases into containers onto the plane.
    As someone pointed out they now place "HEAVY" tags on overweight cases now, and yes this is to warn baggage handlers that the case is heavy, but lets all think a bit more simply, this also tells the baggage handler that some stupid a$$hole has decided to empty their whole wardrobe, medical cabinet, a mini library of books, their cd collection, and anything else they could squash in there, and this probably annoys them, because its too HEAVY to pick up, so lets all take a guess at how they treat your expertly packed suitcase

I do not work in baggage handling, or directly know someone who does, but i've been told what they do. Another point, don't upset the check-in girl with any sort of nonsense, because as you trot of , she will slap a "FRAGILE" sticker on your case, and you can bet that someone, somewhere, will be very inquisitive about whether something inside will break, you may find that your suitcase will be tested for durability, with tests such as , dropped from a great height, lobbed and thrown about, jumped up and down on, etc

Finally, hand luggage. or should this be renamed "i've got too much hold luggage, i'll take the rest on the plane" WHY WHY WHY, do people take so much! its supposed to be 5-7kg and of a standard size, and the stuff thats taken cannot have use to anyone while on the plane. The most annoying part of this mis-use is that all hand luggage has to be x-rayed and checked, this takes time, so when you're queueing for ages at the security check its because of idiots that decide to take too much, and even worse the ones that pack banned objects. On all the flights i've been on , i've never seen anyone giving themselves a manicure, strange really , because so many decide to pack these sets in their hand luggage, and ..... you've guessed already , they contain scissors and these people are most indignant and rude when they are confiscated.
    Another point to remember, is how much is packed into the overhead lockers, just watch next time when you see people trying to lift their "5kg" of luggage into the compartment, there's an accident waiting to happen, if one of these cases fell and hit someone on the head, well it don't bear thinking about.
    Personally, i think the airlines should get really tough, all this un-neccessary weight that is being carried must mean that the plane uses more fuel, and the cost of fuel must be one of the most major costs in running an airline, instead of having to add fuel surcharges onto holiday prices, start to surcharge those who take everything including the kitchen sink

Should have added, the forum is called holiday-truths.co.uk in case anyone is interested.

I feel duly told off- Thanks for that!

nz is a perfect place to travel by train. if they still have those cars with panoramic windows the views are great - you'll be drunk in views/ vibes alone by time you arrive. also had fab lounge car - v good with children. no nicer way to transport ones excess bagagge.

I feel duly told off- Thanks for that!
    Hooray for getting away with extra cabin luggage Good on you.

As for the person who posted the write up on the other forum. I guess the only carry-on luggage he had was his annorak.

Hands up ... I admit it ........ I do not travel light. And I'm talking about luggage so no rude comments please

Diny

I guess the terms forum and discussion can no longer be used in the same sentence.

If you're gonna admit to knowingly breaking rules or intending to, where it could affect others then expect someone to have an opinion on it! : It's nothing personal, just a general opinion on those that decide that rules don't apply to them. I'm sure if I told everyone that I actually can't be bothered to slow down to the speed limit around schools cos I don't have kids and can't be bothered, and I don't "do" slow that I'd have just as many opinions thrown back at me!

As for my copy and paste of the other persons post, it's not so different from many attitudes on this forum so I guess we're all a bunch of anoraks

I wonder what the attitude would be if somebody's kids or partner had a 10kg overweight bag land on their head? Nah, that wouldn't happen, would it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast