Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Airlines Baggage Policy...UK>NZ

Default Singapore Airlines Baggage Policy...UK>NZ

I've just got off the phone to a Travelbag.co.uk rep who told me the following -

I need the PR visa to claim 40kg baggage allowance, OK, fine, I knew this anyway.

Then he said that if I want a stop-over in Singapore then I won't be deemed a migrant (!?) and my allowance would be reduced to the normal 20kg. Is this right???

He went on to say that on our internal leg from Auckland to Palmerston North we would only be allowed the 20kg. Is that right also??? Get a bus, was the suggested solution.

Anyone know the train times from Auckland during the week???

Hey I know you were probably asking the question 'tongue in cheek' but, if you have the time, take the train from Auckland to P.N. It takes just over 8 hours and is probably one of the most scenic journeys you'll ever make. A really good way to relax too, the seats are very comfy, the food is 'OK' (much better than British Rail) and the driver even throws in a running commentory.

The boys and I did this journey last April, at the end of the trip, if somebody told me I had to get back on and go back up to Auckland right away I wouldn't have been at all bothered. It was great !!!

Diny

The odd thing is with air NZ that if you fly via LA the baggage allowance is 64kg, so that doesn't square with the 20kg rule. I know that when I flew out of Auckland last with singapore airlines I had to catch the internal flight Air NZ flight from Chch and they charged me $5 a kilo excess. This is the first time its happened. Might be worth contacting them and asking for a bend in the rules. Unless you fancy the train of course.

Cheers guys,

Actually the train idea relly is starting to appeal now

Did a quick google for NZ Rail though and got a load of tour operators, not sure what the score is, any ideas?

HI,
    I managed to wangle 30 kg each from sing airlines. IT IS LOADS believe me . also bear in mind the hand luggage allowance is about9 kg each piece ( A BIG BAG!!!)
    saying all that all our handluggage was huge and over by 3 kg each adn our other luggage was divided in to 5 bags (3 of us) and total wieght was about 115 kg - 25kg over and nobody said a dickiebird!
    if you split them into bags under 30kg I suppose they don't really notice.
    also if you don't stop over and have a connect about 11-14 hours later your bags go directly to the next flight - no need to collect them and your automatically checked in - just the hand luggage to cart about!

Hope this is of some help
    Love Linda x

Oops careful there Linda, hand baggage is 7kg for a medium sized daypack or holdall and they are quite strict about it. plus you can have a laptop or handbag/briefcase. the dimension for the cabin bags are on the web site somewhere.

Caven,

Transcenic run the main routes...

http://www.tranzscenic.co.nz/

Moorf

Veronica,

I took 2 very large holdalls each weighing approx 11 kg and it was fine, plus my handbag and a backpack for Lucy. They do state specific dimensions but I certainly didn't see anyone out with a tape measure it was all very relaxed when I flew with them.
    I also took X2 very large cases each weighing 26 and 29 kg.
    x2 large suitcases 23 & 22 kg
    x1 small 13 kg
    So I was actually about 30kg over my limit and it was fine!

Linda x

So ..... will my laptop count as my hand luggage or will I be able to take my laptop PLUS a hand luggage bag for myself.

Both PB and me have laptops, so between the 4 of us we'll have 4 x cabin bags and 2 x laptops, will we get pulled up on this or do you think we'll be OK.

Diny

We took our laptops and they counted these towards our allowance - our laptops weigh in at approx 3.5kg each.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast