42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Diesel

12 28.57%
  • Petrol

30 71.43%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diesel or Petrol

"well where are they then?".
    Not wanting to argue on technical matters, but logic here suggests, 'In the hands of the still happy owner.' S/He wouldn't be a change-my-car-each-year merchant, or he wouldn't be running anything old anyway, so he'd quite likely hang on to old faithful, not sell it.

In light of this poll has anyone any views on what I should do with my car??

Bring or Sell??

Volvo XC90 - Diesel - 2.3 years old 23k on the clock.
    Will take a massive hit if we sell.
    But would it be wise to shell out another 3K?? to ship it.

We wouldn't be looking for anything like it in NZ - would probably go for something like a previa [ 2nd hand ]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by janrzm View Post

Bring or Sell??

Thanks
    You can get the Volvo shipped to Auckland for much less than that on a ro-ro. I had a quote recently for shifting a Jag and it was more like ukp 1000 for the trip. On the other hand if you put it in a container you can bring a load of other stuff that you might otherwise have sold.

Bring or Sell??

We wouldn't be looking for anything like it in NZ - would probably go for something like a previa [ 2nd hand ]

Thanks

I would bring it because, as you say, you will take a massive hit on the depreciation otherwise. Check on the costs though as 3k is quite expensive for shipping a car.

Don't worry too much about the Road User Charges for diesels here as, although they do make diesels more expensive, they aren't crippling.

You are also more likely to make use of the 4x4 in NZ than the UK if you head up to the mountains for skiing etc.

Thanks for the info so far.

The 3k was a kind of guess for all in costs including customs/ins & getting it on the road. Waiting for a quote for the ro/ro service someone gave the link for.
    So far I've had £1650 shipping & £320 customs charges.

Bring or Sell??

Thanks
    There doesn't appear to be many of them in NZ, or at least not many for sale. I would have said as the diesel model may be rare you may not get the parts, or be able to get it serviced. But did see a Volvo dealer that appears to be selling some? It might be a good idea to contact a dealer and ask them about servicing just to be sure.

You can also check out how much you could sell it for in NZ should you want to sell it later (you may well get more for it in NZ than in the UK).

Why wouldn't you want the same car in NZ? If you don't want it, then it may be a lot easier to just sell it now.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    There doesn't appear to be many of them in NZ, or at least not many for sale.
    I've seen a fair few around - both petrol and diesel. So they are here.

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    There doesn't appear to be many of them in NZ, or at least not many for sale. I would have said as the diesel model may be rare you may not get the parts, or be able to get it serviced. But did see a Volvo dealer that appears to be selling some? It might be a good idea to contact a dealer and ask them about servicing just to be sure.

You can also check out how much you could sell it for in NZ should you want to sell it later (you may well get more for it in NZ than in the UK).

Why wouldn't you want the same car in NZ? If you don't want it, then it may be a lot easier to just sell it now.

Ian
    Probably only wouldn't get the same as the kids are getting bigger the leg room in the back isn't great. Would manage for another couple of years. Love the car though, the downside being it's expensive to run.
    Also OH has idea's about towing a boat!!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate cake View Post
    ...In NZ though with the lower fuel prices and road user charge, there seems to be much fewer diesels around, indeed the Japanese manufacturers have only just started importing them.
    Skoda (and before you all go - they are owned, remember, by VAG) have recently committed to only supplying NZ with diesel engines.

A number of government departments have started to buy diesel following the Govt3 sustainability requirements so watch out for these at your local Turners in 3 to 5 years time.

Beano

OK, I have silly question...pardon me.
    So if you buy the RUC... Say $300s, for 15K kilo. Now is there any expiration date on it? or pretty much you paid that $300 and can drive it until you travel up to 15Ks? (say takes more than a year to reach that 15K).

I am really keen of getting a diesel, but not sure if that would suit our needs.

I know someone earlier said on page 1/2 that if u don't drive up till 15K/year is not worth it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast