12 28.57%
  • Petrol

30 71.43%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel or Petrol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Diesel or Petrol

Just wondering what fuel we would go for in NZ? Diesel is cheaper but has a surcharge, petrol isn't cheaper but no additional costs but proabbly get less MPG and more wear and tear!

Vote now!!

Diesel engine is noisy and maintenance costs are more compared to Petrol.

it depends which mod of transportation you going to use. If only car is concerned and travelling is not much a day then petrol. If heavy transportation and more travelling is there then Diesel.

Yes, everyone's circumstances are going to vary so much, what anyone else prefers isn't really very relevant.

I'm all for Diesel. The engines tend to last longer, your MPG is usually at least double of petrol and if it is a new low sulfur diesel, the emissions are on part what petrol puts out.

if you are buying a new/newish car then diesel may be worth considering as technology has moved on massively. I've just switched here in Uk from petrol to diesel and my new one is impressive in economy and especially performance ( by petrol or diesel standards )

Service intervals i believe are usually longer for diesel also

Although diesel vehicles are common in UK it should be noted that they are not yet in NZ (for family cars).

For example, Ford have only just started selling a diesel version of the Mondeo even though the various models have been available in other countries for years.

So if you are looking for a diesel model you may well find that it doesn't exist in NZ, or may be rare to find.

As they are not yet common you may also find it difficult to sell the vehicle later.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Although diesel vehicles are common in UK it should be noted that they are not yet in NZ (for family cars).

For example, Ford have only just started selling a diesel version of the Mondeo even though the various models have been available in other countries for years.

So if you are looking for a diesel model you may well find that it doesn't exist in NZ, or may be rare to find.

As they are not yet common you may also find it difficult to sell the vehicle later.

Ian
    Our preference would be diesel......we used to get 72mpg from our 1.9 diesel estate in UK and it was a lot more nippy that the older diesels used to be......but unable to find an equivalent large family car here that we could afford to ended up with a petrol engine.....pain as need to refuel much more frequently, and found it much better drive in bad weather.

In the recent fuel efficiency rally diesel came out much more efficient but petrol came out cheaper due to the additional road user charges on diesel.

So I would say petrol; until road user charges are scrapped - which won't be for a long time I think!

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    In the recent fuel efficiency rally diesel came out much more efficient but petrol came out cheaper due to the additional road user charges on diesel.

So I would say petrol; until road user charges are scrapped - which won't be for a long time I think!
    I've had both here, and that's exactly the conclusion I came to. You get better mileage from a cheaper fuel, but the Road User Charge wipes out any advantages by charging per km. Diesels are noisier, the fuel stinks if you get it on your hands at the pump, and they cost more to service or get fixed when something goes wrong.

Go with petrol - for a quiet life.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast