Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Job Interview! (By phone)

Default Job Interview! (By phone)

Last night hubby had a job interview by phone. :eek
    Now we had read about those, but never thought he would ever get one!
    Anyway it was a very exciting idea and we were eager waiting for the call at 9.30 PM our time,
    as their email stated that was when they would call.
    At 10 PM we decided to check out the email again, nope the time said 9.30..
    I went to check out the NZ times again...
    hmmm they were wrong, daylight savings ended the night before, they must have miscalculated,
    so the time they would call us was actually 11.30 PM! :eek
    Ok , 1,5 hour later we were ready for the call, only to have to wait till 12 midnite.
    By that time hubby started to get a little bit impatient as you can imagine...

The actual interview seemed to go right, lots of normal questions,
    about the job and all that, what we had done so far , what our plans were,
    when we wanted to come to NZ (as fast as possible of course)
    In the end they asked for two references and they might want to do a practical test, for work I presume?

So how does this all sound, normal, positive?
    I have no idea, and am afraid to be too positive,
    even afraid to post on here, feel it might mean bad luck
    Anyone else who had a phone interview and wants to share either here or PM me?
    Thanks!

Wow Hannah Bet you guys found it difficult to get to sleep after all that. No experience of telephone intv, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who will have some stories to share.
    Keeping :hopeso for a positive outcome for you guys. Toi Toi!!
    Babette

No advice Hannah (sorry, not got to interview stage yet), but CONGRATULATIONS anyway!
    John.

Thanks Babette! Yes we didnt get much sleep last nite and I must say after we got that interview arranged last week, it was 3 AM that night as well! *yawn*
    I hope there's more people on here that had one and want to share their experiences.
    Please dont keep your fingers crossed to tight, you might get a cramp

Thanks John, we didnt expect one coming either, so be warned :P

Hoi Hannah-nl,

The fact that they asked for references is usually a very good sign, they generally only do that if they want to continue to the next stage.
    My OH had a phone interview before we came out here (4 yrs ago), the recruiter wanted to know more about him before they introduced him to their clients and when we came out here they had 3 good interviews lined up for him all resulting in job offers.
    The practical test could be anything, I've had to do presentations to the interview panel, write a project plan etc. The presentation is the most common I believe. They generally give you the subject they want the presentation on and some company info the day before and you do the presentation (10-15 mins) as part of the interview.
    The job I just got offered was only an interview and meeting some of the people I would work with.

There doesn't seem to be a standard way of doing things except for the reference checks, they ALWAYS do that.

Veel succes!

Miep

I am one who has had a phone interview and an offer from it. Now i don't know what your OH does so i can't really give to much of an opinion on how the result might turn out, but from my experience i think its a case of fingers crossed and hope for the best.

With me, the phone interview was conducted on a Friday night and i had to phone the HR manager at his home address. After arming myself with a dozen questions or so and having a map of NZ by my side ready to see where the company had depots(am HGV driver) so able to judge where i could end up should an offer come.

Interview isn't what i was expecting, in fact it lasted no more than 4 minutes and i didn't get the chance to ask the questions. I would have called it an informal chat and not an interview really. Why? probably because the nature of my job didn't really require a formal interview. I had to send a driving assessment from current employer and that sufficed the employer.

Just keep those fingers crossed and who know's what the outcome will be, but don't rest on your laurels, keep your options open and keep searching for more opportunities in the meantime.

Sorry i couldn't be more specific.

Kim

Hi Hannah,

I had telephone interviews last month for a job. All were done around 8 or 9 pm CET which was great - I found they were very helpful in doing it that early. Here's my experience in a bit more detail:

First interview was a telephone 'chat' with the manager for him to tell me more about the position but it turned into an interview. He wanted to know mainly about past experience etc.

Next was a short panel interview by phone a week later with the same guy and two colleagues. That was a more formal and structured interview, but only lasting 30 minutes.

Then they followed up on references a couple of days later. They had told me they wanted to make a decision quickly given the project situation so my referees were contacted via email and asked to respond in a couple of days max. The job offer followed via email exactly 1 week after the panel interview, with another arrangement to discuss the package by telephone the next day.

By the way, the sector I applied to (Civil Engineering) has a mega skills shortage and are very very desperate for people. Which influences their options for recruitment methods.

Good luck!

No idea if you should feel positive since I don't have any experience with phone interviews, but I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway :hopeso

Veel succes!

Ingrid

Thanks for all this info and encouragement Miep, Kim, Toadfish and ISan.

We have a feeling this is positive too, that they asked for references.
    It was already a 45 minute phone interview with three members of the staff of that company. So I guess hubby skipped the first stage of introduction perhaps?

They had been emailing back and forth (through the recruitment agency) a few times about the job and all that before they invited him for the phone interview and seemed very keen on getting him into this process.

It's going so fast and I think that's what is making us a bit nerrrvouss
    Hubby is in IT, a job on one of those shortages lists, I keep forgetting the name, so I guess his job is really in demand, time will tell, hopefully :hopeso

Thanks again for the good luck and "succes" wishes

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast