Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advise on best laptop to buy please.

Default Advise on best laptop to buy please.

Hi ,we intend on being in New Zealand early in 2009 and I wanted to buy a laptop in the sales to transfer all my data and have use of as soon as we arrive.I don't really have a huge knowledge on computers and was hoping someone could advise me on a realitively good priced one that does the basics nothing too high tech.
    Any advise appreciated

Helen

well personally I would go for a Macbook. But then I already have one.

Well ... there's 2 point to the Macbook. I also use and love it!!

I got mine in the middle of this year and got no problems with it up untill now!

Something that will honor your warranty in NZ!

if you just want a standard laptop that doesn't do anything too fancy then any of the ones on sale in the dreaded PC world should be perfect - we have a packard bell which is very good so far (bought it last jan) also toshibe are fine

Oh I should note that the Warranty and applecare on my macbook form the States are honoured anywhere that I am in the world.

i asked on this very forum when i was changing mine and got a macbook. total convert now

at $2000 or more a macbook has to be a nice to have ;o)

"Overall the MacBook Air is a beautifully stylish miniature computer offering virtually no advances in practical computing. It's a shame it hasn't succeeded in packing a powerful, versatile computer into its diminutive frame. But if you prefer style over practicality and don't mind spending an extra $1000 to have it, this could be your new toy." lol

you can pick up a perfectly adequate (for music, movies and general computery stuff for $700... (that has a similar or better specification that an apple) HP and Toshiba (and others?) generally have worldwide warranty but check at point of sale
    dont listen to salespeople... 1Gb RAM and 120Gb Hard disk are more than adequate unless you want to play flash games or do fancy graphical thingummies... buy something that looks and feels solid... if you want small and light dont get the DVD drive
    hope this helps
    I should add that ebuyer (www.ebuyer.com) were doing a good deal on a HP http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152233 - get one before you come to NZ if possible... this same laptop costs more than $1800 here!
    Last edited by broadsword08; 27th December 2008 at 09:03 PM.

Don't know about Macs but 4 years ago we bought a HP laptop for about £400 from PC World ( to remain connected until our container with real computers in it arrived)

It's lived in the kitchen ever since and is still going strong.

My personal preference for everyday computing is not a laptop - too many compromises and for the performance you get you can spend the same money and buy a much better desktop PC with a real keyboard and a decent sized monitor. Work gives me a laptop - at the office I use it with a real keyboard (A uk layout one) and a decent monitor (24") both of which I supplied.

So thinking long term do you need a laptop to do everything ? If you don't and just need a tide you over small laptop maybe consider something like ASUS eeePC -cheap small and lightweight - add in a USB hard drive if there'snot enough storage.

A good time to remind everyone moving - bring a copy of all your hard drives (that get shipped in a container) on a external hardrive you can put in your luggage. And if you're english or european (french especially) buy a keyboard (or three) in your home country The keyboards in NZ and in OZ are different (very different if you are french)

Thanks everyone for your advise .
    A quick question to Broadsword08. I have looked at ebuyer its great,would not have had a clue where to look so thanks.I have seen a HP 6735s laptop that looks good for me,what do you think? I just want instant internet access and be able to search the web and email.What is the difference between HP lightscribe and normal laptops?Sorry to ask such alot but any help very much appreciated.
    Helen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast