Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washing machines and Dishwashers

Talking Washing machines and Dishwashers

We dont have these in the uk as we sold them with our house so we need to replace them when we get to NZ.
    We have seen in the sales a couple of what we think are bargins but can't find much information on prices in NZ and I was wondering if you knowledgable people can help.
    Washing Machine:- Indesit 1200spin 6kg AAB rating 15 programmes £179.00
    Dishwasher:- Hotpoint AAA rating 6 programmes 12 place settings 30 min quick wash £199.95.
    So what do you all think????

Hotpoint dont exist in NZ - so don't buy one. Not sure about Indesit but I've never seen one. We brought a tumble dryer (Hotpoint) and a LG washer. Both now with trivial faults but scrap because we cant get parts or service.

Bring cash. Buy one here.

a decent washing machine and dishwasher will cost you $1000 each here - so weigh up UK cost of puchase plus cost to ship
    if you are bringing a container anyway and have space I would be inclined to bring them at those kind of prices
    in this disposable age i wouldnt worry too much about parts... how long do you expect them to last!?
    most washers and dishwasher I look at under 5 years old tend to be blocked drains and filters due to lack of operator care
    on the plus side for local purchasing, you are able to buy a meaningful warranty extension... which for these items is not a silly thing to do... we bought a bosch front loading washing machine for $900 and paid a further $180 to extend the warranty period to 5 years
    if you bring one from UK and it goes belly up you have the hassle of trying to make a warranty claim from the other side of the world so check that out too!
    hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    We dont have these in the uk as we sold them with our house so we need to replace them when we get to NZ.
    We have seen in the sales a couple of what we think are bargins but can't find much information on prices in NZ and I was wondering if you knowledgable people can help.
    Washing Machine:- Indesit 1200spin 6kg AAB rating 15 programmes £179.00
    Dishwasher:- Hotpoint AAA rating 6 programmes 12 place settings 30 min quick wash £199.95.
    So what do you all think????
    Already had some good comments.

For some example prices check out Ferrit Washing Machines.

I assume that the washing machine is a front loader, much less choice in NZ and more expensive so would be inclined to buy in UK. Best option would be to go with something that is also sold in NZ e.g. Bosch if possible but do take into account that it may not be fixable.

I wouldn't bother with the dishwasher as you will find a lot of homes will already have one installed, so yours may never be used.

Whatever you get, try to use it a few times if at all possible as most mechanical appliances if they are going to fail will normally fail quickly.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by broadsword08 View Post
    on the plus side for local purchasing, you are able to buy a meaningful warranty extension... which for these items is not a silly thing to do... we bought a bosch front loading washing machine for $900 and paid a further $180 to extend the warranty period to 5 years
    Not saying anything bad about extended warranties as they do offer peace of mind etc.

But just wanting to point out (for those that don't know) that in NZ the Sales of Goods Act states that the goods must be of merchantable quality and this includes how long a reasonable person would expect goods of this kind to last. So regardless of warranty, if it doesn't last as long as expected the seller has to remedy the situation.

Ian

Thanks guys
    Some good advice

A word of warning about buying Bosch. Although they do sell them here in NZ your particular brand may never have been distributed here. This would mean difficulty getting parts which will probably be very expensive and take ages to get here as they'd need to be shipped from Germany.

We have come up against this just recently with our Bosch dishwasher that we brought with us as it was only about 3yrs old. It sat in the garage for quite a long time and although we've now altered the kitchen to make it fit it doesn't work! We've had the local Bosch repair guy out and he opened it all up and immediately said "don't recognise that motor, don't recognise that power board, don't recognise that pump" because the model we have was never sold in NZ. We're now trying to decide whether to scrap it and purchase new locally or to pay to have parts shipped in from Germany - sigh!

If it weren't for this possibility I'd be saying buy Bosch (highly recommend the brand) in the UK and bring with you.

HTH
    Anneliese

Don't be suckered into buying a cheap toploader over here no matter what the saleman tells you about them being much improved - they're rough on clothes. Maybe the top of the range ones aren't, but then again they're as expensive as a decent front loader......

Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Rach View Post
    Hotpoint dont exist in NZ - so don't buy one. Not sure about Indesit but I've never seen one. We brought a tumble dryer (Hotpoint) and a LG washer. Both now with trivial faults but scrap because we cant get parts or service.

Bring cash. Buy one here.
    My Hotpoint Aqualtis was slightly damaged on shipment - I've been trying to find Hotpoint engineers, then saw an advert for the Aqualtis being sold by Harvey Norman. Hotpoint here (NZ) turns out to be Ariston, so now I know they will be able to fix my machine as they do the exact same model. Will get an engineer out for a quote in the new year.

Question Anyone know if a USA (60 Hz) Bosch washing machine will work in NZ (50 Hz) ?

This thread is highly topical to say the least.

We have a high end US Bosch 'Nexxt' WFMC6400us front loader washing machine that is clearly from the same model family as the ($NZ3,099 gulp !) NZ Bosch 'Logixx 9' WBB24750AU. What is it with Bosch anyway, is their 'x' key stuck.

Anyway, a transformer, already purchased, can convert the voltage to 240V no worries. However, the specs on the US model only states 120V/60 Hz. Doesn't necessarily mean it won't work at 50 Hz but will it ?, More specifically will it work at all or will it sort of work (spin at 1000 rpm instead of 1200 rpm, take 6 minutes to wash instead of 5 minutes, neither of which would be a show stopper) ?

No one so far, including Bosch NZ, has been able to answer this, and it seems the only way to know for sure is either we try it for ourselves. But perhaps someone else has already performed the experiment .........

So any insights on this would be welcome, especially because the container is (hopefully) loading in a couple of days, and we still are not sure whether to ship the washing machine or not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast