Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey

Default Turkey

Maybe it's just a Hamilton thing, but I can't find shaved turkey in a deli or supermarket anywhere.

A silly thing I know... but is it available elsewhere in NZ?

I spent time in the US and every second product is turkey related so I developed quite an appetite for it!

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

This may be a language issue - I'm English, and have visited and shopped in NZ, and I don't know what you mean by 'shaved turkey'. Maybe it's available but by some other name? After looking on Google, I'm guessing this is what I'd called thinly sliced turkey, and you might find it in a delicatessen.

haha yes, sorry - thinly slice turkey is the same thing.
    I've had a look in several delis and have yet to find it. Will have to keep hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat09 View Post
    haha yes, sorry - thinly slice turkey is the same thing.
    I've had a look in several delis and have yet to find it. Will have to keep hunting!
    If you do a search on Woolworths website it shows "tegel 98% fat free turkey honey sliced" in their deli section so they stock it.

BTW, shaved is recognised in NZ i.e. many shops sell shaved ham (thinly sliced ham) so should know what you mean.

Ian

From my experience turkey isn't a big thing in NZ. Check deli sections, but you may have better luck (and price) getting smoked chicken lunchmeat.

I just saw turkey breasts in the meat section at New World recently. I've asked a few butchers whether they have ground turkey here in NZ and they said they have not seen it anywhere- but you could go to a butcher and have them grind up turkey breasts.

Thanks for all your responses.

I did try that Tegel stuff, but it was a bit meh.

I haven't seen turkey breasts at the local New World, but then turkey breasts were hard to come by even in Australia.

Fingers crossed

I think he means like sliced turkey... that you put on sandwiches.

I looked for some in the New World off Willis (I think I'm not sure about the street names yet) and I didn't see any... got some pretty good chicken though! It was rather tasty on my lunch yesterday!

Thanks for all your responses.

I haven't seen turkey breasts at the local New World, but then turkey breasts were hard to come by even in Australia.

Fingers crossed
    I only saw them once a few weeks ago- they were packaged and in the meat section near the chicken (not the deli section). I'll check again next time I go. I used ground turkey breast for everything when we lived in the U.S. - I miss it!

Isn't all turkey a bit meh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast