Thread: Need place to stay in Wellington - advice please!

Default Need place to stay in Wellington - advice please!

Hi!
    I am landing in Wellington on new years day (job starts on 5th Jan, near Frank Kitt's Park). I'll be all on my own! (which is pretty scary).

I will rent a small flat within 2 weeks of my arrival, but for the first week or two I need to stay somewhere - and on a bit of a budget

Can anybody suggest a good value motel or similar? Or even a good web site that has acomodation?

Where did you stay when you arrived?

Any suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks

Have a look at Quest on Willis. They have a Relocation Deal running til the end of Jan that might suit you. Executive studio at $55.00 per night with a minimum stay of 14 nights and they are right in the middle of the CBD, cnr of Willis and Ghuznee. Fully furnished with kitchenette, en-suite, Sky TV, once a week service and internet access available.

http://www.questonwillis.co.nz/index...age.12227.html

If this is too pricey, you might try a backpacker's lodge!

Oh, and btw - we'll be arriving in Welly on Jan 25th .. teenage daughter and me ... and I'm also finding it a bit scary!!! I'm going to be waaaaaay outside my comfort zone for quite some time to come, but I'm coming to realize that the way to handle it is to try and build into those first few weeks some of the elements that will help me cope with that. One of those is to make sure we have a good place to retreat to, and to build in some quiet 'down time' when we just take it easy and breathe, instead of rushing about trying to organize everything in one or two days!!

elleann - thank you the quest place looks awesome and great value for money! Thank you so much for posting that link

Agree that being on your own is quite daunting. My Girlfriend won't be coming over for 4-6 months!!!

I'll go look in to quest now... thanks again!

Pleasure! We're booked in for 7 nights til 31st - they agreed to give us the deal rate even though we didn't book for 14 nights!

Smile

Hi Guys,

been in Wellington myself for 4 1/2 months without the family. (Actually I’m back with them at the moment in Berkshire for Christmas….brrr it’s cold!)

I’ll be back in Wellington on 5th Jan. so do look me up. Like you I’ve left my loved ones for many months and I can tell you that although it is tough ….the first week is the worst, jet lag, disorientation, lack of sleep…. There is no better place to come to.

Give me a shout when I am back and we can go for a beer and I’ll be of whatever support I can be…

BTW you are both coming at a great time…the weather is great (just a small tip, watch out for the flat you rent….it may seem nice in the sunshine but remember it does get windy, cold and damp in winter….the sun hides a multitude of sins!)

You’re going to love it…..

PS send a PM with contact details if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    Hi Guys,

been in Wellington myself for 4 1/2 months without the family. (Actually I’m back with them at the moment in Berkshire for Christmas….brrr it’s cold!)

I’ll be back in Wellington on 5th Jan. so do look me up. Like you I’ve left my loved ones for many months and I can tell you that although it is tough ….the first week is the worst, jet lag, disorientation, lack of sleep…. There is no better place to come to.

Give me a shout when I am back and we can go for a beer and I’ll be of whatever support I can be…

BTW you are both coming at a great time…the weather is great (just a small tip, watch out for the flat you rent….it may seem nice in the sunshine but remember it does get windy, cold and damp in winter….the sun hides a multitude of sins!)

You’re going to love it…..

PS send a PM with contact details if you like
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Wooly_Cow (lol great name btw!). I've been to Welly 5 times before so I have some idea of what to expect at least...

Will drop you a line once i'm there - cheers!

We stayed in a Quest apartment back in March and we would recommend them, they have everything you will need including washing machine, dryer, and dishwasher and they are good value for money.

Glad to see you sorted you visa stuff out

have a safe journey

Mels

Try looking at the Apartment in Wellington? thread. We were very happy with the Southern Cross, which is centrally located and cheap (even cheaper than the web site ad).

Give us a shout when you get here. Maybe we can help.

Keith