Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raised ALT ,GGt

I have to redo the LFT together with Hepatitis C test and I had only one value slightly out of range(ALT 51), all the others were perfectly in range

This was the first thing I heard from our CO 5 months after submitting ITA (with a job), hopefully everything else will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post
    Aarrhhmm...excuse me...could someone explain what ALT and GGT are please?

Is there something that could be done before tests to reduce likelihood of high results or is it wait and see what you get then react to the results?

Ta
    ALT = Alanine Transaminase
    GGT = Gamma Glutyl Transferase

These are both enzymes which are found predominantly within liver cells. Elevated levels in the blood can indicate liver cell damage (intact cells don't leak enzymes into the bloodstream; damaged cells can do).

TBH the only times I've seen GGT significantly elevated were in people who drank more than the recommended levels of alcohol per week, or binge-drinkers. That is *NOT* to say that everyone here who has an elevated GGT is an alcoholic!

There are many reasons why liver cells can be damaged - alcohol, paracetamol overdose, hepatitis infection, gallstones are ones that spring immediately to mind. It's a screening test like any other and most of the people with elevated enzymes will be fine. A few will need more investigations (ultrasound, other blood tests - as someone here has already had) but most will be fine.

The only thing I would do to try and reduce my levels would be to drink lots of water, eat lots of fresh fruit & veg and stay off alcohol for a few weeks before the tests!

Thank you

Seems I am also now being assessted for LFT. First time I had heard about this was now - mine was 62 with a 55 limit. I had my blood tested again - after I got here for something else and it was 59.

So had mine tested this week again after seeing the GP - its now 83!! and wants me to go do an ultrasound. I have been a bit fluish and we are detoxing a bit and eating much healthier. So option is to wait 3 weeks and look again or go for an ultrasound now (at some cost - not sure exactly how much) to see if they can tell why its so high.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Seems I am also now being assessted for LFT. First time I had heard about this was now - mine was 62 with a 55 limit. I had my blood tested again - after I got here for something else and it was 59.

So had mine tested this week again after seeing the GP - its now 83!! and wants me to go do an ultrasound. I have been a bit fluish and we are detoxing a bit and eating much healthier. So option is to wait 3 weeks and look again or go for an ultrasound now (at some cost - not sure exactly how much) to see if they can tell why its so high.
    Are you taking anything for the flu? Sometimes even over the counter meds can increase LFTs Maybe worth waiting the 3 weeks, get over the flu, virus or whatever, cut out all alcohol and medications just to give your LFTs a bit of time to stabilise.

Good luck with it all
    Karenx

No, no real meds although have taken some panadol (paracetamol) to try and break a bit of the fever etc.

Not too stressed about it - will go again in 3 weeks I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12