Thread: Parcel Service UK-NZ (for a saddle) HELP>

Default Parcel Service UK-NZ (for a saddle) HELP>

Does anyone know how I can get around £150+ Im being quoted for shipping a saddle to NZ? Or a good courier company.

The saddle only weighs 19kgs approx but im being quoted for 121kgs cos thats the size the box will hold.

Anyone who knows saddles will know they are an odd shape at best!

Or doesn anyone coming to Welly soon have space in a container for it?

Are you sure you'll be allowed to bring in your saddle? We were advised to leave all our horse stuff behind and MAF are really scared of letting on horsey stuff.

As long as its clean with no horse hair etc its fine.

Its got to be immaculate though, plus this one is new (never seen a horse).

I Bought a Wintec form Aus last month and it was treated by MAF with vapour, and it didnt damage the saddle at all. They said would be fine for Leather as well, but I didnt want to take the risk so bought new.

They will certainly want to look at your horse stuff but if its clean then it shouldnt be a problem. I was only charged $6 for the treating of the wintec too.

Nice to see another horsey person!!! <wavey>

Hiya,

what are the dimensions of the box as most couriers will quote on volumetric weight? I think like you say, with their odd shape you will be looking at fairly expensive quotes from couriers...I have just tried a few couriers I use regularly but going about it blindly as I don't know the boxed measurements yet..got a quote of £258 (been a long time since I last had a saddle in front of me!)

Julie

Hi.

Well the longest part of the saddle is the seat. I reckon 19 inchs end to end,so maybe that squared?

This will be of no help whatsoever since we left our horses and horse stuff behind - apart from OH's riding boots and hat which cost us $150 to get fumigated. I went to the States in 2000 and brought back an american saddle in a suitcase. It took me half the night to strip it down and wedge it into the case!

Sorry no shipping advice, just wanted to say I loved my Wintec English saddle!
    Hope you can find a better rate or a kind soul to transport it

hi,

if it helps try www.parcel2go.com

I quoted on the dimensions you gave and the cheapest one comes in at £108 including fuel surcharge. That is only with the basic compansation, but you have the option to extend depending upon the value. Top end with £500 ccover I think it comes in at about £133

I have tried a few (even those couriers who advertise on ebay) and it seems most which use DHL, come in at £148.

Good luck in finding something
    Julie

Thanks Guys. Ill keep you posted....

Why don't you try your airport cargo I sent an extra 65 kilos through Glasgow's airport cargo at the cost of £223 and and they went on an Air New Zealand flight, you still have to get clearance from MAF and customs. With Air New Zealand I had to pay Air New Zealand an extra $35 when I picked up my cargo items at Welly airport.
    Its worth finding out, good luck
    Natasha