Thread: Multiple entry visitor's visa + work permit

Question Multiple entry visitor's visa + work permit

Hi All,

I'm coming to Wellington during March on a visitor's visa to face couple of interviews. I know that if I get a job offer from an accredited employer, I can convert my visitor's visa to a work permit straight away (please correct me if I'm wrong).

If I get a job, I still need to return to my home country and resign from my current employment, and come back to NZ to commence work on the new job.

If I get a multiple entry visitor's visa at first place, can I use it to enter NZ for the second time (to commence work on the new job). OR do I need a work visa for that?

If I need a work visa, can I get it from NZIS Wellington office during my recce trip?

My visitor and work visas will be processed by NZIS Bangkok branch and they take more than 1 month to process an application. Therefore it would be nice if I can sort out all the visa matters from NZIS Wellington office during my recce trip.

Any suggestions/comments are much appreciated...

/Beetle

I can't answer you about the visitor visa, but I can tell you that my cousin, who moved to Welly last September, got his work visa in Wellington in about two hours. However, he came fully prepared and had everything ready for the NZIS. This included fees, medicals, police clearance, employment contract, etc etc, and there was no problem with any of the items he submitted.

Whether his experience is the norm or unusual, I have no way of knowing!!

A work permit can be issued fairly quickly if you have everything in order. We got ours in 45 minutes--we had a ITA number for them to reference which may have made a difference. They couldn't see exactly what we had submitted but just that we had submitted it. In the Christchurch office at least you can expect an appointment the same day you go in (Go early, even at opening time you can expect to have 10 people in line ahead of you).

Anyhow I think that if you have a job offer you should be able to get a Essential skills work visa or Talent visa that allows you to leave the country and return for the purpose of work. You will want to look at the work visa form on the NZIS site. There is a multiple entry box to check on the form.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...8FA/0/1015.pdf

I don't think that the employer has to be accredited unless you are applying for a job that is not on the long term skill shortage list, ie a talent visa.