Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things to bring when making the move!

If you are landing at Dubai, they have become very strict about codeine (I think?) in your hand luggage.

There is a thread about it somewhere but I'm sure Ian will point you in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post
    If you are landing at Dubai, they have become very strict about codeine (I think?) in your hand luggage.

There is a thread about it somewhere but I'm sure Ian will point you in the right direction
    Ok then, here's the thread - Dubai stopovers

Ian

Brilliant tips, everyone!

We're only allowed 20kgs checked baggage each, so we're at present trying to decide which things we really don't want to part with - we have no container, only half a dozen boxes which we'll ship - three of those are already bulging with books!

As to special stuff: I'm planning on stocking up on the facial stuff I use as its an SA made brand that isn't available in NZ. Apart from that, tea is a great idea (I drink decaff). I'm also planning to ship an old Persian carpet and a 100% down duvet - hope MAF won't have a problem with either of these! And my daughter is very reluctant to leave her collection of soft toys behind, so I foresee a bit of a struggle there ...

I've been doing a lot of reading and have found that spectales can be quite expensive in NZ - around NZ$300!! so would be a good idea to bring along a spare and of course your prescription as a visit to the optometrist is also expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-and-Lou View Post
    If you suffer hayfever, antihistamines by the crate. Same for indegestion tablets .. very expensive here.
    If you go to the doctor and get a prescription for antihistamines they will cost you $3 for 90 tablets

Any and all DIY equipment.....$15 a roll of backing paper here, 99p a roll in the UK!!

Or you could just have a prescription for your glasses so you can buy them at www.zennioptical.com or www.39dollarglasses.com and have them shipped anywhere in the world! I just got glasses for 3 kids, including shipping, for $100 Canadian. My sister orders to NZ with no problems too.

Plenty of travel adaptors. It amazes me how many of my UK electrical bits and bobs have built in adaptors so I can't just change the plug.......

Quote Originally Posted by aberdian View Post
    Plenty of travel adaptors. It amazes me how many of my UK electrical bits and bobs have built in adaptors so I can't just change the plug.......
    It's worth bringing a couple of those 4-way extension cables; just change the plug when you get to NZ and you have 4 UK sockets to plug stuff into.

Having commenced the decorating/nesting stage of the journey I would suggest wallpaper! Unbelievable prices here, when I think about the cheap rolls in B&Q and I'm paying on average $35 per roll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12