Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opening a NZ bank account and which bank to approach???

Some of you have said 'No monthly charges' in relation to some of the banking stuff. Is this a general thing in NZ or is it just in relation to specific aspects of the banking service? In SA, I'm used to paying a hefty monthly charge just for the privilege of holding an account with a bank, as well as other odds and ends - the banks here seem to like to rip you off any way they can ....

But seriously, I'm also about to open an account and my recruitment agency suggested ASB or National. I don't have vast amounts of cash to transfer in - just a couple of months survival money ....

Any websites where you can compare banking services?

Quote Originally Posted by elleann View Post
    Any websites where you can compare banking services?
    You could try cheque accounts

Note: You can also select other types of accounts to compare fees for.

Ian

We are very happy with ASB on the whole the one downside is there is no branch in Rangiora which will be our local town in 3 weeks time, to deposit my business cheques.
    Know you're thinking of heading to North Canterbury might be a consideration to opt for one with branch there

Brilliant, Ian - thanks! I'm already amazed by the difference in monthly charges - the highest seems to be $5.00 which equals ZAR 27.50 - my SA monthly cheque account fee is ZAR 87.00!!!

Another question: how often is a cheque likely to be required in NZ?

I have not issued a cheque in years and years, as I do all my banking online and pay everyone directly that way. If I need a cheque, I have to get the bank to issue one specifically and that happens about once in five years!

Quote Originally Posted by elleann View Post
    Another question: how often is a cheque likely to be required in NZ?

I have not issued a cheque in years and years, as I do all my banking online and pay everyone directly that way. If I need a cheque, I have to get the bank to issue one specifically and that happens about once in five years!
    Don't bother with cheques or cheque books would be my advice.

Haven't used one in ages and in NZ you pay for the book of cheques.

Ian

Many thanks all, this is great advice... looks like a choice between ASB or Westpac, although ASB is slightly more favourable.

Here a good site to compare various info...enjo

http://www.interest.co.nz/

Just one final point before we make a decision with whom to bank with...

We've been 'Approved in Principle' and our passports were posted to NZ House, London just before Christmas to have our 'Blue Stickers' inserted ... should we wait until these have been returned to us (probably within the next 2 weeks or so) or can opening a bank account be done without them?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Just one final point before we make a decision with whom to bank with...

We've been 'Approved in Principle' and our passports were posted to NZ House, London just before Christmas to have our 'Blue Stickers' inserted ... should we wait until these have been returned to us (probably within the next 2 weeks or so) or can opening a bank account be done without them?
    For the ASB account it states:
    Certified Photocopy of your Passport(s) - information page including photo and Visa (if approved)
    So if you have a certified copy available then you don't need your passport.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast