Thread: Kiwis Returning Home!

Question Kiwis Returning Home!

Hi all

Was mulling over various bits of information on here the other day and it occurred to me that there are alot of people who have Kiwi OHs (or are Kiwis themselves) who are returning home. My OH is a Kiwi and he has his views so I was interested in hearing from others.

My questions are what do those Kiwis who have been out of NZ for a while, say 5/6+ years at least, make of returning home?
    Has it changed - for better or worse, or just different?
    How nostalgic were they before going and how did the reality match up (I know that bit is similar to another thread but the focus is intended to be slightly different)?
    And what about those Kiwis hoping to go back - what's driving you (I know family reasons will be a factor for many)?

Thanks.

good thread Napiers, will be interested to see some of the replies on this one!

Im a kiwi and fiance is English both of us in early 30's. We both use this site/account as we prepare to leave London and head to NZ.

I personally have enjoyed living in London for 7+ years but could never stay in the city permanently, Londoners are a breed apart and I know many thick skinned, born and bred londoners who could never move out of the city.

I miss NZ,the people, the way of life and the quirkiness of it all.
    I know it has faults like other countries but I think its saved by its small population.
    This is also its downfall depending how you look at it as it cant compete with the big players/markets/salaries.

If you had 25 million people living in NZ things wouldnt be as rosy as they are now.

We will miss being able to go to France or Italy for a long weekend but in reality most people dont do that once or month so we can cope with an annual trip back up here to the north.

I think the only thing im apprehensive about is that we have gotten used to the trappings that come with living in a huge placce like London.

If its been made,cooked,sewn etc you can find it here.

Wont miss:Weather,pessimists,sarcasm, buses,tube journeys,burnt retinas from permanent bright overcast skies,small narrow houses with tiny yards, scary hardened kids half my age,dog poo every 4 steps on the pavement, noise, oh the constant noise!

Anyway thats our pros and cons.

We know we will get Londonitis in the first few months where we pine for the big city and have withdrawals but its a new chapter in our lives and its exciting.

We look forward to buying mountain bikes and doing walks.
    Giving up our comfortable well paid jobs here for the lifestyle we want is a no brainer.

While its good to get ahead you only have one life and its time for something different for awhile.

On reading through the many different threads on this forum I realised you always see the country slightly different to a person that is born and bred there I think.
    Its funny seeing new arrivals discussing things, the what,where ,why and hows of NZ life we grew up with.

I will add I have a lot of respect and admiration for the folks leaving the UK heading down south as its a big move and hard leaving family behind.I wish all of them the best of luck and really hope they settle in nicely and are welcomed into the country.

We’ve actually just talked about this at home. My OH had been out of NZ for almost 12 years, the reason for coming back was to be closer to elderly parents, the outdoors and the climate.
    These are some thoughts:

- It gets colder than in memory
    - Life is more expensive than anticipated
    - The rich have become richer, the poor poorer since 1995
    - There is more emphasis on material things (shinier cars, flasher houses) than 12 years ago

My OH loves it here and doesn’t want to leave again, so the above are observations, but no reasons to not stay here (since the main reasons, nature and parents, still apply).

Before we came, I think London was evil and New Zealand some kind of paradise. Since we live here, that has been adjusted somewhat, and a more real perception of Auckland has replaced the very positive memory of it. The scales of course haven’t tipped in favour of London (unfortunately for me), and we still disagree very much on where is the better place to live

However, I think a lot depends on the stage of your life that you are in when you leave or return. Your experiences of a place will be very different. For example, I left my country of origin when I was a student, I’ve never lived there as a working parent. So my perception of it will largely be shaped by the fact that I was living in certain conditions. If I moved back now, working and with a reasonably sized family, I would see a lot of things very differently. Not only am I 12 years older, but also have different needs and expectations.

Interesting thread, and I would love to hear more from others!

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    We’ve actually just talked about this at home. My OH had been out of NZ for almost 12 years, the reason for coming back was to be closer to elderly parents, the outdoors and the climate.
    These are some thoughts:

- It gets colder than in memory
    - Life is more expensive than anticipated
    - The rich have become richer, the poor poorer since 1995
    - There is more emphasis on material things (shinier cars, flasher houses) than 12 years ago

My OH loves it here and doesn’t want to leave again, so the above are observations, but no reasons to not stay here (since the main reasons, nature and parents, still apply).

Before we came, I think London was evil and New Zealand some kind of paradise. Since we live here, that has been adjusted somewhat, and a more real perception of Auckland has replaced the very positive memory of it. The scales of course haven’t tipped in favour of London (unfortunately for me), and we still disagree very much on where is the better place to live

However, I think a lot depends on the stage of your life that you are in when you leave or return. Your experiences of a place will be very different. For example, I left my country of origin when I was a student, I’ve never lived there as a working parent. So my perception of it will largely be shaped by the fact that I was living in certain conditions. If I moved back now, working and with a reasonably sized family, I would see a lot of things very differently. Not only am I 12 years older, but also have different needs and expectations.

Interesting thread, and I would love to hear more from others!

The things you mention are the very things that my Kiwi OH has found an issue. He lived in England for 20+ years and the motivation for returning was family. He certainly remembered a "rosier" New Zealand and seemed to have to adapt almost as much as I have (who hadn't lived here before).

We have both begun to really settle here, though he isn't blind to negatives and has a much more balanced view of both England and New Zealand.