Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Commonality of tattoos??

Default Commonality of tattoos??

Hey all,

It's been 8 years since I've lived in NZ so I only have a vague recollection....but I was wondering if anyone had noticed how common tattoos and tattoo parlours are?

I'm planning on getting a new one and am trying to figure out if it's going to make me look out of place

Not at all; I've actually been surprised how many people have them. All shapes and sizes (of people and tattoo's)!

Maori heritage is strong on tattoos and they are quite common for gens X and Y. I've seen lots here

I feel quite undressed without one! there are some beautiful tattoos here- many of them with special meanings not just a couple of barbed wire scratchings. My daughter (a midwife) had tiny little baby feet tattoed on her foot. I can't find the photo but it's so cute.

We met a tattoo artist in Taupo who was phenomenal! I'm looking her up when we move
    What I've noticed is better quality tats in NZ, less fuzzy home-jobs.

Oh this sounds great! Phew. I'm not sure they'll be so common in Blenheim perhaps (small town and all) but I know they have at least one tattoo place.

I currently have a monkey and a butterfly on the back of my right shoulder. The monkey (for Caleb, my monkey boy - 4) has a C on his belly and the butterfly (for Ashlee, my butterfly princess - 6) has an A on its wing.

Next week I am getting a big chest piece done which should look beautiful and I'll still be able to cover it up for work if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    What I've noticed is better quality tats in NZ, less fuzzy home-jobs.
    Yes, I've noticed that too.

Personally, I'm not a fan, however saying that I did see one recently that I really did like (not to have for myself, but to look at). A guy had the outline of New Zealand infilled in Maori style.

I notice many more large picture tattoos on women than I've seen anywhere else. At the zoo the other day there was a lady with a black (grey) picture across the whole of her back (that I could see) and another with coloured scene from the knee down on one leg.

Lx

There is a tattoo museum in Wellington which is worth a visit .

Very common here. OH and I have both had tattoos done here - if you can't find an artist in Blenheim I can highly recommend ours in Kaiapoi - he's worth the trip and a fantastic artist to boot.

You're right, far less skanky tats here - lots of great art.

Quote Originally Posted by gil View Post
    Maori heritage is strong on tattoos and they are quite common for gens X and Y. I've seen lots here
    You'll see it's also pretty common for Pacific Islanders as well

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast