Thread: why do south africans need a face-to-face interview?

Default why do south africans need a face-to-face interview?

does anyone know?

this seems strange because (as far as I am aware) most other people just get a telephone interview?

Quote Originally Posted by JK&A View Post
    does anyone know?

this seems strange because (as far as I am aware) most other people just get a telephone interview?
    From what has been posted on the forum there have been many other members who have had to have a face to face interview who don't come from South Africa, so it isn't specific to this country.

From the residence manual there are many times when an it states "to appear before a visa or immigration officer for an interview" which is for all countries - so maybe some immigration offices don't follow the rules, or maybe it depends on the applicants specific circumstances?

Would be interesting to know all the countries where people have had to have face to face interviews?

Ian

I thought that if NZ emabssy is not in your country and your application is processed in another country, only then telephone interview is required- to save the person travelling all the way to that country and not forget the cost and hassle of obtaining visa of that country.

Anyone from London had telephone interview- while NZ have high commission there?

This is one of the threads I was thinking about, CO wants us to travel to Washington!

Having to fly from Brazil to USA for a face-to-face interview

Ian

most of the people I know who live in the UK have had telephone interviews (in fact, I think ALL of them have - unless they've had a job offer, then they haven't been interviewed).

Just interesting to note that on the home page of the LONDON BRANCH of NZIS there is a message there about making trips out to South Africa to do face-to-face interviews with South Africans when it doesn't mention it for any other country - that's just what brough it to mind. I guess perhaps that's why - because there isn't a NZ embassy in South Africa maybe??? but it's being processed by the London branch.

I'm only curious because we are south african born (but no longer live there - have been living in UK on EU passports for over 10 years now) and it made we wonder if we'd be asked for a face-to-face interview rather than a phone one.

To be honest, face-to-face would be better because OH falls apart on the phone and can't always convey what he means - he's a terrible phone person but in person he'd be great!!