Thread: Shipping stuff

Default Shipping stuff

This seems like a silly question as I write this, but supposing we decide not to bring big stuff - furniture, sofa, etc and the biggest items we would want to ship would be our two fairly new tvs (37inch), plus lots of boxes of books, personal effects, kitchenware, some toys, etc in those book, tea and clothing cartons. Can we avoid having to fill a container? Does anything exist between excess baggage type shipping and a 20ft container? Any advice, as always, is much appreciated.

What's that line from Fight Club? 'The things you own start to own you'?

Quote Originally Posted by Elainep View Post
    This seems like a silly question as I write this, but supposing we decide not to bring big stuff - furniture, sofa, etc and the biggest items we would want to ship would be our two fairly new tvs (37inch), plus lots of boxes of books, personal effects, kitchenware, some toys, etc in those book, tea and clothing cartons. Can we avoid having to fill a container? Does anything exist between excess baggage type shipping and a 20ft container? Any advice, as always, is much appreciated.

What's that line from Fight Club? 'The things you own start to own you'?
    If you don't have enough to fill a container then you can go groupage instead where 2 or more customers share a container.

For example you pay for half a container and someone else pays for the other half.

You get charged a bit more than half the full container costs and you also have to wait for the rest of the container to be filled before the container will be shipped.

Your goods are more likely to be handled several times e.g. so that the other persons goods can be unloaded etc so definitely recommend insurance.

Ian

Thanks Ian, and I take it that most shippers offer groupage?

Quote Originally Posted by Elainep View Post
    Thanks Ian, and I take it that most shippers offer groupage?
    AFAIK they do.

If you ask a removal company to come around for a quote they will see how much volume of goods you will ship and from there tell you the options.

Ian

BTW, if you do search on this forum for groupage you will get plenty of posts on the subject.

Ian