Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any maritime skipper jobs in NZ?

Default Any maritime skipper jobs in NZ?

Hey all, just chancing my arm that someone may be able to help.

We are moving to NZ soon (hopefully) and my wife is classed as a skilled migrant.

My profession is in the maritime sector. I am a search and rescue instructor/commander.

I am 34 and have been an instructor for the RNLI (UK's maritime search and rescue organisation) for years. I have also worked as a search and rescue commender in the North Sea. I am therefore pretty experienced on motorboats and was hoping there may be an opportunity for me in NZ.

I have all the RYA teaching certificates etc as well.

Anyone able to advise?

Thanks

I think I am correct in saying that the SAR boys and girls here in NZ operate on a voluntary basis, so probably not much in the way of paid positions avavilable. They are certainly kept busy in our neck of the woods, with hunters/trampers getting lost in the Coromandel bush quite frequently.
    The coastguard also use mostly uppaid volunteers (in this part of the country ), but must have positions that are paid.
    Try some of the following for xtra info;

www.nzmarine.com

www.nzcoastguard.org.nz

www.yachtingnz.org.nz

As you probably already know, boating is HUGE here, so you should find something to suit. I know that a local aqua-culture firm have been looking for skippers, but this is to operate mussell barges in the coastal waters off of Coromandel. It would be low paid and slow/hard going.

http://www.landsar.org.nz/front/front.aspx?ID=996

My wife has just completed a joint services training day ( she is with the St Johns) and is pretty sure that SARS do employ.
    Last edited by Timbo; 11th January 2009 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks Timbo, I was lucky enough to have spent 2 months in NZ last year. I introduced myself to the coastguard chaps and went on exercise with them. They are just like us in the UK, mostly volunteers with a few paid staff, so I realise work with them is scarce.

I am however looking for any other boating jobs I would consider pretty much anything, I have been working the rigs in the North Sea and was wondering about the rigs out of Greymouth. I would however like a reasonable rate of pay. I can also instruct as I have my yachtmaster instructor qualification.

Thanks for the reply and links I'll do some searching.

Cheers

Dont know if this helps, but was told they are looking for someone to manage the interislander ferries in wellington, might be advertised on seek.co.nz.

Dougle00,
    I will check with some of my neighbours - they are coast guard here in Nelson (and also run a charter Catamaran) who may have some sense of paid opportunities. There are several sailing schools, chartered boats and water taxis here as well as commercial vessels (Sealord, Talleys etc.)
    What line of work is your wife in?

Thanks Mikey, will look into that.

Dbonnett thanks, appreciate that, would be great to get my foot in the door with the coasties as that is my true calling. I feel I have loads to offer them since I have been working for the very successful RNLI charity in the UK. My wife has a degree in sports science but her skills are managing hotels. We are being accepted (hopefully) into NZ because of her hotelery skills. I'd appreciate any info you could glean.

Thanks

Hi,

Get in touch with Maritime New Zealand (my employer) www.maritime.govt.nz I know that we have just taken on a number of new SARO's however I'm sure they would be interested in someone with your qualifications. If you want PM me I will give you my email address and you can ping me your CV, I'm happy to stick it on HR's desk.

Alternatively contact Rob Law recruitment as they are the recruitment agency that MNZ uses.

Thanks incognito, pm sent.

hi ingcognito pls PM me thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast