Thread: Renewing General Work Visa

Default Renewing General Work Visa

Does anyone know if it is possible to keep renewing a general work visa every 12 months? I read somewhere online of an example of a fellow who worked at one of the Universities as a professor and instead of getting PR or WTR, he just renewed his general work visa every year or so and said it was really an easy way to do things. Especially if you don't know how long you plan on being in NZ, why spend thousands on PR if you haven't had a chance to live in NZ long enough to make a firm decision.

Just curious, as we may either want to renew a general work visa or get one and then in those 12 months, apply for residency.

We kept renewing ours for 4 years I dont agree that it saves you money while you decide as after a your first year you have to do medicals like anyone else to renew and each time you have to send all the evidence as each time it is a new application .I do not agree that you save money and you are left in limbo each time as to will you get it .Also if you want to leave the country you have to make sure you have a visa to get back into nz as I had to go back to uk in a hurry .The reason we were on work permits that long was we could get residency as we were over 55 yrs and we needed to wait for one of our daughters to be eligable to sponsor us .We now have our residency ,hope this helps I would say do residency if you can as the uncertinancy stops you settling and also stops you been eligable for lots of things (ie) private health insurance ,benefits , you are eligable for free public health care after you have had 2 consecetive w/pand been in nz

That is good to know, from someone's personal experience. Thank you for sharing!

This may help others or be another viable options: The NZ immigration website states that if your work permit is 12 months or less, you do not need to do any medicals. We just didn't want to go through all the drama and expense when we first arrived. Also, we have consistently read that general work visas, if paperwork is organized, can be approved extremely quickly, less than a week... some in a few hours. Our thinking is that it is enough of an upheaval to move to the opposite side of the world as it is, so why complicate everything initially. Wait and see how things go, etc. Once we get settled and know we want to be there long-term, we are thinking of applying for PR within that 12 month permit window.

Did you apply for a work visa via Auckland office? was it a partnership visa? Im applying for mine next week when I arrive in Auckland and am just wondering if you experienced those short wait times in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by megs8257 View Post
    Did you apply for a work visa via Auckland office? was it a partnership visa? Im applying for mine next week when I arrive in Auckland and am just wondering if you experienced those short wait times in NZ?
    My OH's work visa under the general skills category took us about 45 minutes to get (we had an ITA in the works so for things like medical and police checks they could look and see that we had submitted one.). The information provided was good enough to get a work permit for 1 year. We did start waiting in line early in the morning as well which helped with a fast process time.
    My partnership visa (based on OH work visa) took a few weeks under the same restrictions. I'd imagine that if you didn't need medical referrals and had all your paperwork with you it would take a few hours or a day or so to get a work visa in NZ.
    In Christchurch at least the work permits are processed by a person with you there and the partnership visas are dropped in a box and mailed back to you when complete. The immigration office here has a sign saying what types of services are processed same day and which are not. Perhaps Auckland is the same?

Thanks Becky the info is greatly appreciated. I had applied once while in the states and they requested I get my medicals done. Which in the mean time I have. So all my paperwork is in fact in order. Crossing my fingers that everything goes smoothly.

Dont forget that the principal applicant can't get a work visa/permit until they have a job offer. When we first came to NZ we didn't have enough points to apply for residency straight away, so we got a two year work permit (this was four years ago, I'm not sure you can get a two year one now!!!!) After one year we applied for residency, and got it three weeks after submitting our ITA - we could then also list NZ work experience which helped with points. When we were still in the UK discussing our options for getting here we went to an expo and asked the immigration officer that very question. "Would we be able to keep renewing our work permit until we were in a position to apply for residency?" His reply was basically that they would probably do it once and then encourage us to go for PR...... just his take on the situation
    HTH