Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cost of everything...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The cost of everything...

...and the value of nothing...?

Can’t help noticing the number of posts about how EXPENSIVE everything is out here… so I thought I’d add my two penn’orth - or should that be four penn’orth, because IT’S TRUE!

We have been here a month and already money is getting a bit tighter than we would like.

Cheap things have included:

Car insurance
    The car itself, bought from friends of friends for $700, but then it IS a 1987 Mazda with 207K on the clock, the sort of thing that would have been crushed long ago in the UK, lovely bronze metallic and car-sickness-inducing velour seats, mmm…
    House and contents insurance
    The equivalent of council tax
    Petrol (it’s the equivalent of about 50p a litre at the moment)
    Cheaper-end clothes (from the Warehouse – a bit like ASDA)
    Housing (if you’re buying one, including costs of sale and purchase)

Expensive things include

Wine. NZ wine is cheaper in Waitrose, for heaven’s sake
    Dairy products (why oh why oh why?).
    Food. Like, everything. You can do a $40 shop at Countdown and still only come away with a couple of shopping bags of basics. And that includes the equivalent of the Tesco’s blue-stripe stuff.
    Electricity
    White goods. You’re looking at well over 300 quid just for a basic fridge-freezer. And because they’re so expensive new, second-hand ones are very expensive too.
    Computers. Buy yours before you get here. From Dell. No, I'm not on a commission.
    Furniture. Except garden furniture, now that summer's over.
    Housing (if you’re renting one). Godawful places with NO white goods at all or heating are fetching $350 a WEEK plus in Sumner, Christchurch. Now, Sumner is quite desirable, but that ought to mean a good standard of housing, not merely overpriced tat with swirly wallpaper and damp carpets.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I think NZ’s great so far and well worth giving a go. It’s really, really nice here. People are very friendly. And it’s great for kids. These are things with real value, hang the cost...

I’m just suggesting that you bear these expenses in mind. We are fortunate in that we are very well set up with family, including Kiwi family, and new friends here and even WE were surprised at how pricey things are. So do your homework and count those pennies before you come.

Happy shopping!

Dan

Welcome back to the forum Dan

Housing (if you’re renting one). Godawful places with NO white goods at all or heating are fetching $350 a WEEK plus in Sumner, Christchurch. Now, Sumner is quite desirable, but that ought to mean a good standard of housing, not merely overpriced tat with swirly wallpaper and damp carpets.
    You been peeking in our window??

Good post - there's been quite a bit about the cost of living on here recently so it's nice to have another view onboard.

I wonder if the exchange rate is what is really affecting us immigrants as I certainly don't remember posts like this when I first joined this forum a year or so ago, and yet I'm one of those posting about how expensive it can be!?

Well written and accurate post. second everything there.

That was a good post. I have been looking at the prices of second hand cars on the internet and are surprised how expensive they are. Hopefully on my scouting mission in November I can get a better feel of what the general cost of living is.

Regards,
    Ingrid

Hi,

Just a thought and I would appreciate peoples opinions from NZ ......

Is the reason that some food products (eg: dairy) are more expensive in NZ because the farmers etc are getting a better deal from the supermarkets than the UK farmers do? By that I mean that they arn't being bled dry by supermarket chains who reduce their prices to an unsustainable level, the cost of which is met by the farmers.

I am more than happy to pay a bit extra if the system is more 'farmer friendly' (although I would prefer to buy from farm shops :P ) than here in the UK. Don't get me started on the 99p chicken debate :?

Thanks again for the honest post. I'm trying to set up our budgets at the moment so information like this is great.....keep it coming! :mrgreen:

Milliemoo

By that I mean that they arn't being bled dry by supermarket chains who reduce their prices to an unsustainable level, the cost of which is met by the farmers.

I am more than happy to pay a bit extra if the system is more 'farmer friendly'
    Being an agricultural girl myself, I second those comments

Diny

Hi Jimmy,

As you know, there's such a vast range of products in the supermarkets these days you can pay anything between x & y. I'm a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for' . I'm all for value, buy produce which is in season, it's cheaper! :P I'm not saying that you have to spend a fortune on your shopping, I just think people should take the time to make themselves aware of the products they buy, how they were produced, what goes into them etc. Oh god, I'm getting back to those 99p chickens again......stop me before I go off on one!

Anyhoo, if you want to see what we're paying in the UK at the mo:

www.tesco.com

Milliemoo

Jimmy

From what I can remember, I don't think that NZ food is expensive at all. But there again, I've always bought it with the UK pound and in holiday mode.

I was agreeing with Millie about the supermarkets over here screwing the farmers. For instance, you know when you get those wonderful buy one get one free deals on such things as strawberries or new potatoes? Well the farmer has to supply them as in charge for one give one free. If they don't like it then they don't get their contract renewed. It's as simple as that.

I could rant on all day about this subject but I won't ............ thank God I hear you say.

Diny

There seems to be a small theme that we have found over the past 10 weeks that we have been here...... If you want something ..NOW..... be prepared to pay though the nose.... but if you can wait and look.... things, and bargins can be found..
    Of course somtimes you do have to get things sooner rahter than later.

chips

Quote Originally Posted by ISan
    I have been looking at the prices of second hand cars on the internet and are surprised how expensive they are.
    I've been here for 5 months now. My advice to you is not to get robed by car dealers. The are truly honest here, but they are there to make $$$ out of people's pockets. Cars on the net are over priced. I’ve seen a Japanese imported Mitsubishi Delica (really show room condition, only 32,200 k) selling in auction for less than 7k. Dealers would price it at say 12-15k! I would say that you could save 30-40% buying your vehicle from auctions (see http://www.turnersauction.co.nz ).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast