Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ Resume formats

Default NZ Resume formats

Well, I am desperately trying to apply for every job available in Blenheim, as well as sending my resume to every law office, courthouse, general office etc there is, in the hopes of finding something for me...and to every garage door company or other business that might utilise OHs skills. We want to have jobs lined up for when we get there, if possible.

What is proving to be an issue is the difference between the formats for Canadian resumes and NZ resumes. Is there somewhere online that you've found that shows a good format? Would you be willing to share the format of yours (especially if you are an office administrator/secretary)?

Thanks!

We're having the same problem. My OH hasn't gotten any calls back from all the jobs he's applied to in the past six months. I'm suspecting it's how his resume is written but I'm not sure.

I put my experience first, then my education then supporting information (if you've got it for your job type, I had some publications and invited talks), then personality stuff and references. I got a few call backs but no job yet.
    I also suspect I'm doing something wrong but not in the best position to look for more jobs atm.
    On the other hand I wrote my OH's CV (more or less) in the same format and not so many issues with that.
    I think some job types they are more likely to overlook non-NZ standard CVs and others, not so much.
    Last edited by BkyMonster; 28th January 2009 at 01:30 PM.

http://www.enz.org/forum/search.php?searchid=878615
    This search brought up lots of threads on this forum about writing CVs.

http://jobs.nzherald.co.nz/doc/topjo...ting-tips.html takes you to NZ Herald tips on writing CVs and cover letters.

Gil

move2nz forum offers a CV/resume check service
    On their website they have do's and don'ts and you can also email CV/resumes to them to be checked for a small fee

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by mcacmartin View Post
    Well, I am desperately trying to apply for every job available in Blenheim, as well as sending my resume to every law office, courthouse, general office etc there is, in the hopes of finding something for me...and to every garage door company or other business that might utilise OHs skills. We want to have jobs lined up for when we get there, if possible.

What is proving to be an issue is the difference between the formats for Canadian resumes and NZ resumes. Is there somewhere online that you've found that shows a good format? Would you be willing to share the format of yours (especially if you are an office administrator/secretary)?

Thanks!
    I have written on one of the other CV threads if you want to have a look; can never remember myself where they all end up so you will have to have a browse. My job in the UK prior to being out in Auckland was to assess drivers and help them gain Vocational Qualifications and them building their own CV.

My CV was picked up immediately over here so I hope that I can help. Obviously you need to put your name and contact details top of page 1. I would centre this and make it bold. Secondly, and probably most importantly, you need to write a paragraph headed PROFILE; I use bullet points; and make sure this list matches what is being asked in the job specification that you are applying for (If unsure, it is perhaps a good idea to ask for a full job specification from any potential employer). It should also obviously include your experience in these areas BUT, keep it precise - this is not a work history but simply telling potential employers that you match their requirements.
    Your next list of bullet points can be headed KEY SKILLS - this is where you supply information about yourself; what YOU are good at and do not be afraid of selling yourself. If you are patient and organised, tell them that.
    Next comes your education - this should also match what the job requirements are asking for.
    You should now have a full page 1 which tells your potential employer all about you, how to contact you and how much of you fits in to what they want. This should include a list of all Educational and Vocational qualifications and include rough dates as to when you gained them. TRY AND GET THE MAJORITY OF THIS ON TO YOUR FIRST PAGE!!
    This is the point where, if you fit, they will turn the page to find out a little more about you.
    You can now tell them a little employment history starting from the present and working back to that first day at work. This list can be a bit more in-depth but do not go into too much. Your whole CV should be no longer than 3 pages.
    If you send these manually there is also the possibilty that the employer will want to photocopy your CV. In this case it is recommended that you do not staple your pages together. You may not be the only one applying for the job and if the employer has to remove staples then you may just be filed the wrong way!
    After that it is pot-luck I`m afraid. Just do not be afraid to sell yourself but obviously don`t try and do something that you can`t. The hard part is to tell people that you are good at something but this is important.!

Quote Originally Posted by smudgerand4 View Post
    I have written on one of the other CV threads if you want to have a look; can never remember myself where they all end up so you will have to have a browse. My job in the UK prior to being out in Auckland was to assess drivers and help them gain Vocational Qualifications and them building their own CV.

My CV was picked up immediately over here so I hope that I can help. Obviously you need to put your name and contact details top of page 1. I would centre this and make it bold. Secondly, and probably most importantly, you need to write a paragraph headed PROFILE; I use bullet points; and make sure this list matches what is being asked in the job specification that you are applying for (If unsure, it is perhaps a good idea to ask for a full job specification from any potential employer). It should also obviously include your experience in these areas BUT, keep it precise - this is not a work history but simply telling potential employers that you match their requirements.
    Your next list of bullet points can be headed KEY SKILLS - this is where you supply information about yourself; what YOU are good at and do not be afraid of selling yourself. If you are patient and organised, tell them that.
    Next comes your education - this should also match what the job requirements are asking for.
    You should now have a full page 1 which tells your potential employer all about you, how to contact you and how much of you fits in to what they want. This should include a list of all Educational and Vocational qualifications and include rough dates as to when you gained them. TRY AND GET THE MAJORITY OF THIS ON TO YOUR FIRST PAGE!!
    This is the point where, if you fit, they will turn the page to find out a little more about you.
    You can now tell them a little employment history starting from the present and working back to that first day at work. This list can be a bit more in-depth but do not go into too much. Your whole CV should be no longer than 3 pages.
    If you send these manually there is also the possibilty that the employer will want to photocopy your CV. In this case it is recommended that you do not staple your pages together. You may not be the only one applying for the job and if the employer has to remove staples then you may just be filed the wrong way!
    After that it is pot-luck I`m afraid. Just do not be afraid to sell yourself but obviously don`t try and do something that you can`t. The hard part is to tell people that you are good at something but this is important.!
    Good info, Good to hear, that is more or less the way mine is oragnized, But I have it streamlined to one page.

Quote Originally Posted by WANZLittles View Post
    Good info, Good to hear, that is more or less the way mine is oragnized, But I have it streamlined to one page.
    Are you saying that your entire CV is one page?

From what others have said on this forum, NZ employers prefer a slightly longer CV than just a single page.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Are you saying that your entire CV is one page?

From what others have said on this forum, NZ employers prefer a slightly longer CV than just a single page.

Ian
    That is just the main body, it does not include the introduction Paragraph and Ref.

But I will have to check into that with some NZ Engineers, most Engineers I have met, prefer information straight to the point, that includes injunears from UK, and SA.
    Last edited by WANZLittles; 29th January 2009 at 10:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast