Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: commuting questions

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Really?? Where are you driving? Must amend my way to work. What you are describing is what I have come to expect here daily, and I am amazed at the level of aggression that people display once behind the wheel.

Daniela
    Honestly, you should try all the UK roads!! This is "big city" driving in Auckland and I believe that driving here offers a certain amount of unpredictability. There is certainly a thoughtless element but that would be reminiscent of all city AND fringe driving in England. Unfortunately, "City Driving" in the UK has extended well beyond the city and dangerous, discourteous, selfish driving was just part of the norm when I left, ALL DAY and EVERY DAY. It is difficult to compare with the UK but I do drive on the roads professionally and the Rush Hour is over relatively quickly. You simply cannot compare Auckland driving with London which is a 24 hour manic operation.
    Later hours in Auckland are really quiet in comparison except on Friday / Saturday nights when things liven up - then you have to watch out for the Boy Racers and those other drivers who have evidently had far too much to drink!! Otherwise - enjoy the city views over the harbour bridge etc and then compare the roads with what you left behind!!

Quote Originally Posted by smudgerand4 View Post
    You simply cannot compare Auckland driving with London
    I can and I do.

There is no question about the number of cars on the road, London is bigger and more crowded and the traffic slower, etc. I have stood in some (caused by security alerts, but still) traffic jams at 3am on a Sunday morning in London, no doubt you'd be hardpressed to find that here

But where the level of aggression and driving ability is concerned, I find Auckland a lot worse.

Daniela

The "Where is driving worse, UK or NZ?" question has long polarised opinion on here. Before we came, we were dreading driving here, based on what we had read on this forum. However, our experience has been a pleasant surprise, more in line with what smudgerand4 describes, i.e far less aggressive / rude than UK.

Generally, I find drivers here quite considerate. I drive into the CBD most days, sometimes not if I am off to clients outside CBD/Auckland (e.g. Hamilton, as I did today) and always during rush hour. The unpredictability of traffic volume is irritating and I have come to allow heaps of extra time during those peak periods.

The highway lanes defintely seem narrower here, which made things feel a little more hair-raising in the beginning, but I must have got used to it now, as it doesn't bother me any longer.

Gil

ha ha got to say that coming back to the UK and driving between Witham and Upminster, A12 M25 6 days a week that I can't even begin to compare the traffic in Christchurch with that. Sorry but the majority of Christchurch city doesn't have what can be called a rush hour. It has a slight build up of traffic. going out of the city there are a few roads that get a tad clogged. marshlands Rd to the north, theres often a build up on Deans Ave and riccarton Rd is always a bit sticky. The longest I have ever been in traffic in christchurch is 20 mins stop start and that was a bit of an exception for me over 5 year span.

Can't personally answer for Auckland or wellington, although Daughter in Auckland grumbles about both the traffic and the driving up there. Seems a good reason to be in Christchurch to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12