Thread: Psychometric testing following an application i sent for a position

Default Psychometric testing following an application i sent for a position

i did an hours worth today following an application i sent for a position. a friend of mine who "knows" about these things reckons its a big step forward in the process as it costs employers a lot of cash to use 3rd party Psychometric applications. any thoughts as to whether this is true or is it run of the mill in NZ?

OH had to do it for his job and they only tested him as he was the only one short-listed after initial interview - so good thing me thinks Not standard practice for his organisation but because we were still in the UK when he got the offer I think they wanted to make sure he wasn't a loon

Karenx

Depends which one they used, was in Myers Briggs or SHL - both of these cost lots of money and are really interesting but shouldn't really be used in recruiting. What do you do??

financial services... the software application was called "previsor"
    Last edited by victoria24; 29th January 2009 at 07:10 AM.

edit: just got off the phone to a recruiter in NZ who said that it means they must have liked my application and CV

I had to do psychometric tests for the two jobs that I applied for (both accounting). It seems like it is pretty standard here in financial services having spoken to others.

i have had to do them for all three jobs i've had out here, each time the jobs been offered to me so i would take it as a positive indication, i'd say it propbably means youre on the shortlist or a preffered candidate...but each employers different....

Hi there,

I'd say that testing is quite common place, especially for IT firms.

Employers find it a useful tool as part of the recruitment process and there's no reason (given the correct procedures, appropriate tests, interpretation etc) that they shouldn't.

It's quite common for there to be misconceptions or just lack of understanding on how the tests can be used and also how best to complete them. A good employer will make sure the candidate is fully aware of the type of test they are being asked to undertake, why they are being asked to complete it and also provide some example test questions in advance of the actual test date.

Good luck

Milliemoo (SHL Test Administrator in a previous life )

Mass screening of all applicants using psychometrics is less common practice here as they are expensive. If they've bothered to get you to do a test, that is a positive step. Good luck

Gil