Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to do a completely different job

Default I want to do a completely different job

Hi, I'm a teacher but want to do something completely different. Has anybody completely changed their job since coming to NZ? How did you do it?

I've always loved messing with things electrical and have become very interested in Green Technology - solar, wind etc. I have no qualifictations or experience in this field (other than as a hobby) but would love to break into this area somehow. Can anybody give this dreamer any advice? Or should I just stick to what I know?

I wont be coming to NZ with that much money; probably $4-600,000 maximum, and a good proportion of that will be going on a house once I get there. I will need an income but as long as it covers the bills Im not fussed about how much I will make.

So what do you recon? I'd be sincerely grateful for any thoughts on this, i've been pondering this on my own for a while now.

Ian

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Having been a teacher, I sympathize with the wish to change tracks. I got as far as diversifying into private tuition and other freelance sidelines, but that's in the UK, and you'll have the additional problem of the need for a visa. Unless you manage to get PR with no strings (no 18a) - then you could take any job you can get. Or if you go to NZ on a holiday visa and get a job offer that would entitle you to change that for a work visa.

When jumping ship into another line of work, you need a lot of nerve to talk yourself up, and/or something you can show to prove you can do your 'new' thing. For example, could you say you've designed or fitted some green technology products, that you could show photos of to a potential employer or client? If you haven't, is this something you could start doing now in the holidays, to give yourself a portfolio? (This isn't anything that will help with the immigration formalities. The idea of changing career would ONLY wash with them if you were accepted onto an educational course in NZ.)

Several random thoughts there. No doubt you'll get more help when NZ wakes up.

would advise you to come over as a teacher for a bit and look at the options once you are here on the ground. It sounds a bit off kilter but perhaps you could find an alternative school. theres one in Christchurch junior level called discovery and senior level called unlimited, and perhaps teach/learn alternative energy etc. alongside the kids while you are sussing things out. There must be others apart from that one. or look at colleges!! not suggesting that you stay in teaching, just use it to get yourself here and able to look around.
    Last edited by veronica; 5th February 2009 at 01:20 AM.

you've got enough money to be debt free and live off a low wage for an interim period... why not become an adult apprentice electrician...

Quote Originally Posted by kazbluesky15 View Post
    I wont be coming to NZ with that much money; probably $4-600,000 maximum, and a good proportion of that will be going on a house once I get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by broadsword08 View Post
    you've got enough money to be debt free and live off a low wage for an interim period... why not become an adult apprentice electrician...
    I was thinking the same thing, 400k-600k, you could almost come in a investor visa

That apprentice electrician thing is a good idea. When I was a boy basically you had to join Eastern Electricity as a 16 year old to be apprentice, does anyone know how this is done in NZ now?

Also, how much actually do you need to bring to NZ to get in on the Investor visa?

As for teaching at a special school - I think Im not qualified for that. I teach at university here and all that that requires is an MA and experience. I taught at High Schools here in Japan when I first came here, but I think teaching at a Girls High School here and a mixed secondary school in NZ would be a tad different. Here I'd raise my voice and they would start blubbing, in NZ they'd probably chuck the tables at me! At 47 I don't think I have the patience (or the reflexes) to teach at High School again.

Thank you your thoughts.

I'm afraid it doesn't look as if that's enough to be an investor migrant. See details here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...or/default.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kazbluesky15 View Post
    Here I'd raise my voice and they would start blubbing, in NZ they'd probably chuck the tables at me! At 47 I don't think I have the patience (or the reflexes) to teach at High School again.
    Just like to say that whilst what you describe is exactly what I would expect from a UK school, from my very limited exposure to NZ schools I would say that this response would be much more unlikely, although I'm sure that it does still occur on occasion (but I take your point).

Ian

you'll need to be fairly physically fit to do an apprenticeship... crawling in roofs and under floors... you'll also need to be reasonably mathematics and physics minded... it takes 3-3.5 years and there is ongoing written and on the job assessment through that time... we would be interested in taking on a further adult apprentice if the south of otago appeals... you could buy a farm for the kind of money you are bringing with you down here ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by broadsword08 View Post
    we would be interested in taking on a further adult apprentice if the south of otago appeals... you could buy a farm for the kind of money you are bringing with you down here ;o)
    Cool! That certainly would NOT apply in Auckland! Depending on the area, you wouldn't even be able to buy a house outright.

My husband made a switch from being a chartered buidling surveyor (which is how we got PR) and an Operations Manager to being a Financial Analyst. The company just wanted him to "back himself". Mind you, the role did not require a financial/accounting qualififcation. They are now looking at him undertaking something like that.

There was a post on here by the recruitment manager of IBM a while back and she said that people shouldn't switch careers on coming here - which I politely disagreed with

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Gil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast