Thread: Passport Expiry !

Default Passport Expiry !

Could really do with some urgent help! Our EOI has just been selected and we're waiting upon our ITA, however my passpost expires in 1yr 11months. I remember reading that you need 2 yrs left on your passport for a residency visa, however it's not all clear cut. We fly in 2 and half weeks!! and next week are visiting NZ house in London in attemped to get a working visa for myself so I can start work asap on arrival. Therefore I need a passport, but for this purpose my current one will do (I have all documentation, job acceptance ect ready). So do I: Risk doing our ITA with my current passport (with less than 2 years left) or get a new passport this weekend before going to London, but my medical and EOI will have my old passort number on? will this matter? I don't want to risk getting a work visa in this passport to then have to delay our ITA application until we're in NZ, when I can get a new one.
    Any advice would be much appreciated, as I think I need to make a quick trip to the passport office!!

I have just asked my CO the very same question about expiry dates. He said that you need to have 365 days left on your passport for the visa to be put in it, any less and they will not issue it.

I would suggest you get a new passport. As for the old passport numbers being on the EOI and Medicals, I would say don't worry, once you have been issued with a new passport, your old one will be returned to you with the corner clipped off to show it has been replaced. Simply send both passports with your ITA application to prove that both lots of numbers refer to you.

Hope that helps

Marybelle

Thank you, its reassured me, think it'l be best to get a new passport. Thanks again.

After we submitted our EOI, one of our passports was lost. We had a new one prior to getting our ITA and simply corrected the passport number in the ITA. That was all there was to it.

I had to get a new one issued between EOI and ITA and just added an ammendment to the form and it was fine. Can't remember if I used the new or old on medicals however.

Hi Simon & Sarah

Ironically, we had pretty much the same life left on our passports and like marybelle kindly points out, 365 days is the limit to get issued with nice Residency stickers.

We also decided to get new passports in between EOI and submitting our ITA, as it saves messing around when you're in NZ... peace of mind at the end of the day for a few extra quid spent.

Good luck
    Last edited by Red Devil; 6th February 2009 at 09:09 AM.