Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Area Is The Hottest/Has Best Climate

Default Which Area Is The Hottest/Has Best Climate

1. Which area of NZ is the hottest or has the best climate? Any specific towns? I love the sunshine and heat, and warm water for swimming.

2. Any of those areas with good schools or a shortage of teachers? I'll be getting my teaching license soon and looking forward to moving to NZ.
    Last edited by Laura Lu; 7th February 2009 at 07:49 AM.

Hi laura and welcome to the forum!

Ive not been (leaving in 5 sleeps + 1 mini sleep) for our recce trip so im sure NZers will be up and about soon to add more but i believe the north of the north island to be warmer and more humid and the further south you go to be drier with more distinct seasons. the northlands are subtropical. take your pick!

Primary or secondary teaching?

Primary.

We are going to the Far North which is "winterless" so we have been told.

Everywhere should get its fair share of rain though, you can't have hot weather and green fields without it

Quote Originally Posted by marybelle View Post
    We are going to the Far North which is "winterless" so we have been told.
    Eeeek! Don't believe everything you are 'told' - NZ has a maritime, not continental, climate that is dominated by the sea. So for the same latitude as a continental country NZ has less temperature extremes, but it still gets wet and cold in winter and not as hot in summer.

Either way; if you are expecting the absense of winter, or blazing hot balmy days all year then you are in for a shock.

Rod

Napier/Hastings has good weather all year round.

It's more of a Mediterranean climate here.

Only wore a jacket twice last winter, and that was cos it was raining!

Nick.

Not sure that any of the water is really warm (like eastern US, Mediterranean waters). I think it's wetsuit recommended year round (similar to the west coast US in temperature) for long term exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRod View Post
    Eeeek! Don't believe everything you are 'told' - NZ has a maritime, not continental, climate that is dominated by the sea. So for the same latitude as a continental country NZ has less temperature extremes, but it still gets wet and cold in winter and not as hot in summer.

Either way; if you are expecting the absense of winter, or blazing hot balmy days all year then you are in for a shock.

Rod
    We are moving there for the job, not the weather We have got swimmers and wellies, so either way we will be happy.

Thanks for the responses!

Now, when you say the water is not really warm, how cool do you mean? I am used to swimming in water about 20-25C in a swimsuit, no wetsuit. Should I expect similar temperatures?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast