Thread: 18 month grandparent visa.

Default 18 month grandparent visa.

I wonder if anyone has any experience of applying for this visa?

My understanding is that once I return to the UK in April I can then apply to return to NZ for up to 18 months through this visa. I do understand that I then can't return for 18 months and that I will need to satisfy the general health requirements but that's the limit of my knowledge!
    I've no idea how long the application may take to be processed in the UK or, to be honest, much else about it. So, I wonder has anyone here come over on one or had a grandparent apply for one ?

Any feedback gratefully received,

Ian...

Watching with interest. I haven't seen this topic on the forum - or not in recent times, anyway.

Think that there was someone...who when they contacted NZIS about staying on and had mentioned that they cared for their grandchild(ren) and had been told that was working without permit and that they had 7 days only to leave as they had outstayed their welcome???

That was IanR himself, talking about his visitor's visa. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....dchildren+visa

After reading this link

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...itpleentry.htm

How long can I stay in New Zealand on each visit?

You can stay in New Zealand up to six months on each visit, up to 18 months in total during the visa’s currency.

and

Is there any time limit for me to stay outside New Zealand before I can return to New Zealand on this multiple visa?

No. You can return to New Zealand at any time during the currency of your multiple visa; however, you must not exceed the maximum entitlement of 18 months in New Zealand during the currency of your visa.

From that it would appear that every six months I'd have to leave but that may only need to be for one day.

Don't kmow too many of the application details, but my MiL is here on a grandparent visa. Seem to remember similar criteria to sponsorship regarding the person having to gaurantee her money, etc, but not too sure - all online though at NZIS.
    She will leave the country in 2 weeks (6 months up) and have a few days in OZ, then return and start again with another 6 months.
    Think she had to make the initial application in the UK, there was a medical required and the fee was fairly cheap at about £50.
    The application took just a few weeks and any previous stay is disregarded, but the grandparent overrides any previous or current applications. - She has since been allowed to apply for sponsorship, as it just takes longer.
    But, you are still treated as a visitor - need return flights when arriving, not treated with the rights of a resident, etc.
    Any questions and I will try to find out more from her.

Cheers and thanks Rusty ..that's just what I wanted to hear... I don't mind doing a few days in Oz (or a short cruise to the islands) every 6 months. It means I can rent somewhere in NZ for 18 months instead of ducking in and out every 6 months (and believe me 6 months flies by when you're enjoying life over here).

I'll keep the forum updated - one other question though... I leave on 07/04/09 ..would I be better having a medical done here prior to leaving? (Also I have naturally high alanine s (?) on liver tests so will have to 'dry out' and sadly have no alcohol and drink lots of water for 14 days prior to test I suspect.

Ian, it sounds as if you feel pretty much settled in NZ. Wouldn't you be better off if you were sponsored for PR under the parents' scheme? (Just thinking, as after the 18 months on the grandparent visa, you'd then have another 18 months when you weren't allowed to be there, if I'm understanding it right.)

Indeed you're right.... unfortunately my family have only been here 18 months so another 18 months to go before I could apply (

Oh, sympathies...