Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of joining the NZ Police - any cops out there?

Question Thinking of joining the NZ Police - any cops out there?

Hi,
    I live in Welly and I’m considering a career change. Currently I’m in IT sales and the money is great but it's very mundane. I'd like like to join the NZ police force as I've thought about it for a long time but not done anything about it. Are there any cops out there (or partners)? Do you enjoy working for the NZ police? What’s it like?

I'm guessing it's not easy to get in, but I want to give it my best shot!

You should PM Leachio as her husband was a cop in NZ just over 12 months ago. She also goes on a police forum that has a lot of people who are/or are about to/thinking about the move to NZ.

I would be very interested in peoples thoughts on this to, as this is something I am currently mulling over.

Many thanks

John

No advice yet, but my partner is looking to join the cops as well. He's ex-British military and was really keen to get in when we were originally in New Zealand, but we were turned away and told we'd have to get residency first. So, here we are waiting for our EOI.

I worked for them myself as a non-commissioned assistant in their Wellington headquarters, and it was a pretty decent place to work - obviously they're a bit overstretched as far as personnel goes (which is why they've got all those flashy recruitment commercials, although you'd think they'd be a BIT more flexible about letting people like my hubby in!...oh well) and the wages are probably a bit lower than what you might expect in a country like the UK, but you also have more quality of life - I think, anyway - and there are good bennies and a pension scheme, so it looked good to us. There's an aptitude test and then a physical test, neither of which I think are particularly hard. They definitely do need more recruits, so as long as you're fit and have a brain in your head you should be fine.

Hi Pleccy

Try contacting clairelouise, her hubby is an NZ policeman formerly UK police.
    She is very nice and always helpful.

Marybelle

Quote Originally Posted by marybelle View Post
    Hi Pleccy

Try contacting clairelouise, her hubby is an NZ policeman formerly UK police.
    She is very nice and always helpful.

Marybelle
    Awwww shucks! *blush*

My OH has been working for the NZ police since October last year up here in the far north, but he was recruited from the UK as part of a scheme they had to get more experienced officers over to here so his experience of joining would be slightly different from yours. He had to do a conversion course for 8 weeks in Welly including driving, firearms, physicals, and the ovbious exams too. If you join as a new recruit from NZ you have to do (I think) 18 weeks in training college in Welly.

It's not for everyone. There is more paperwork than he ever expected, but it's a million times better than working for the UK police, especially the Met! As with all jobs it can be just as monotomous as any other at times too, but OH is still in awe at people on the streets waving and stopping just to chat to him! A definite far cry from London! The pay is notmajorally fantastic, although we get by as he came over on a higher wage due to years served in the force.

He suggested that the police will (by prior arrangement) give you a "ride along" with them, hopefully to give you a better insight to what they actually do, and maybe to give you a better feel for whether it's something you would actually like. Apparantly mpost stations will do this for you as long as you drop in and arrange it with them.

Quote Originally Posted by clairelouise View Post
    Awwww shucks! *blush*

My OH has been working for the NZ police since October last year up here in the far north, but he was recruited from the UK as part of a scheme they had to get more experienced officers over to here so his experience of joining would be slightly different from yours. He had to do a conversion course for 8 weeks in Welly including driving, firearms, physicals, and the ovbious exams too. If you join as a new recruit from NZ you have to do (I think) 18 weeks in training college in Welly.

It's not for everyone. There is more paperwork than he ever expected, but it's a million times better than working for the UK police, especially the Met! As with all jobs it can be just as monotomous as any other at times too, but OH is still in awe at people on the streets waving and stopping just to chat to him! A definite far cry from London! The pay is notmajorally fantastic, although we get by as he came over on a higher wage due to years served in the force.

He suggested that the police will (by prior arrangement) give you a "ride along" with them, hopefully to give you a better insight to what they actually do, and maybe to give you a better feel for whether it's something you would actually like. Apparantly mpost stations will do this for you as long as you drop in and arrange it with them.
    Thank you clairelouise (and everyone else) for the info. I think the 'ride along' thing is a great idea. I've arranged to go to a seminar in Wellington at the end of Feb, that should give me some insight. IIRC yes its 19 weeks training near Welly and they pay you $36K pro rata for that. Then you become a probationary constable for 2 years ($50K). After that you can branch out in to different areas. So the Salary is less than half what I'm earning now, but TBH I need to get out of a corperate office environment.

Good luck pleccy!! Go for it I say!

And although the money might be lower than you get now.... you can get Subway or McD's for half price so you'll never starve

Quote Originally Posted by clairelouise View Post
    Good luck pleccy!! Go for it I say!

And although the money might be lower than you get now.... you can get Subway or McD's for half price so you'll never starve
    Thanks!

I just hope that my asthma doesn't affect my application I guess I should tell them, but it doesn't affect me these days. Do you think they'd pick that up on a medical?

Half price subway!! awesome!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast