Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So there's a TV cable coming out of my wall . . .

Default So there's a TV cable coming out of my wall . . .

And I don't know what to do with it because it doesn't seem to fit onto the back of our TV.

Tell me what it could be or how we could get channels to watch. It looks just like the same cable we had in Canada with that attachment that has a wire in the middle and a turny-screw thing around it. (You'll know what I mean if you've seen one ) But on the TV where I would assume it ought to go doesn't have the threads to screw it in. Do I need some kind of in-between attachment? Where would I get this? There is no antenna on top of our house.

Sorry, I'm obviously clueless. But the good news is that we have a house to rent and will move in probably tomorrow! Woohoo. We could have moved in today but we don't have a fridge or mattresses yet.

Kerri

Plugs into a Sky tuner? Might look like this:

That's the one. So I have to contact sky to get it set up? Thanks so much for your help.

Kerri

Do you have a dish aerial outside anywhere?

It's possible the previous occupants took the dish, but didn't bother ripping out the cable. If the other end is exposed to the elements, the quality of the cable might be a bit in question too.

Dougie

If there's no dish/aerial, it could be cable TV - either way you would normally need a Sky/Cable decoder box.

Alternatively, buy one of these to convert to a standard aerial socket and plug in your TV - you may find that you can pick up the free channels without any additional hardware!
    Last edited by Big Puku; 11th February 2009 at 10:45 AM.

fyi: it is called a coaxial cable. Generally used as noted above for carrying an analog signal to your TV from a antena or a TV service, unless you have Digital converter box, then it carries a digital signal to your TV.

If you've not got a Sky dish then it may be a freeview digital cable, in which case you'll need a freeview set-top box. Or get a standard converter back to analog for your TV.

Well the cheapest and easiest option was to buy a set of powered rabbit-ears for $30 and we get free TV now. It boggles my mind that we don't have to pay a monthly bill for it. And honestly, there's always something semi-decent on to watch. I don't even do the TV thing, but the kids aren't in school yet and my husband is home with them, so they're all into it.

Kerri

ok what are powered rabbit ears?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast