Thread: job hunting on visitors visa

Default job hunting on visitors visa

if you get a pull by immigration with loads of cv's and job specs in your hand luggage will they be ok with it? I mean, how else do they expect you to get a job offer if you don't go a hunting?

Your mind's running on overtime, isn't it? No surprise...

I don't see how anybody can object to paperwork. Where it would get to be against the law would be if you actually WORKED while on a visitor's visa. So if asked, you'd say, 'Well, while I'm here on my holiday, I'll have a look around and see if I'd like to work here. If I found anything, of COURSE I know I'd have to get a visa first, sir.' But is it actually likely that somebody coming in on a visitor's visa and looking reasonably like all the other tourists is going to get searched?

Has anybody here ever been investigated on the way in at the airport?

would it make a difference if I have pre arranged appointments? they're all with accredited employers and recruiters

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    would it make a difference if I have pre arranged appointments? they're all with accredited employers and recruiters
    Presumably, they'd only know that if you told them, or if you had a copy of the letter inviting to you an appointment.......I wouldn't mention it.

I was told by nice man (Immigration Officer) at NZ House that if asked at customs you say you are coming in on holiday as that is what your visa says.
    Once in you are entitled to job hunt to your hearts content.

You must agree verbally with what your paperwork says

How many more get ups???
    Have a good flight

In my experience the only people who really look at your luggage at the airport are MAF and they only care about mud, plants, seeds and fruit, NOT CV's

I have had my bags searched numerous times in various countries that have plain evil and paranoid customs officials (think Pakistan or Israel, they are the worst) and they have never even looked at what papers I carried. It's your laptop and your bottle of water that are on the top of their list. In New Zealand food and other organic materials are what you definitely do not want to bring in, your cv holds very little interest for them.

PS Do not put any spanners in your bag, I have been caught out with those before.

or god forbid have cornish mud on your shoes

thanks guys.. luckily im not into mud or spanners

Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post

How many more get ups???
    Have a good flight
    no more sleeps in my own bed off to london this evening so 1 mini sleep in a hotel and then we're off!