Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Licences - Clearing it up once and for all

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    ??? Almost all the cars on the road in NZ are right hand drive - is that what you meant? Or were you thinking of a car such as would be used to drive on the right?
    I get used to drive with changing gears by the right hand, not left

Ah, now I understand. The kind of car you're used to, for driving on the right of the road, where you change gears with your right hand, has the steering wheel on the left, so it's known as a left-hand-drive car.

I've no idea if you'd be allowed to sit the NZ driving test in one - let's hope Dawn will be able to say.

However, there aren't very many on the NZ roads, and (as I know from having driven right-hand-drive cars on the right in Europe) visibility is not as good and it makes things more difficult for overtaking. It's actually not too hard to get used to driving the other kind of vehicle - of the important controls, it's only the position of the gear lever and handbrake that are likely to be different. The pedals are worked the same, whichever side of the car they're on.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Thanks for explanation What I want to know now is if I will be allowed to use a car with automatic transmission during the practical test

Quote Originally Posted by Sovenok View Post
    Thanks for explanation What I want to know now is if I will be allowed to use a car with automatic transmission during the practical test
    Yes you can.

Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by NikT View Post
    Yes you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovenok View Post
    Does the practical test include driving with manual transmission? Can I use an automatic transmission or at least a right-handed car with manual transmission?
    You can choose which car to take a test in, but if you choose automatic, you will only be able to drive automatic cars. If you choose manual, you will be able to drive both types.

What about if you have a provisional licence from Australia (i.e you've passed the practical test, but have to be on graded P plates for three years)?

Quote Originally Posted by dmunz View Post
    What about if you have a provisional licence from Australia (i.e you've passed the practical test, but have to be on graded P plates for three years)?
    It's equivalent to an NZ restricted. You would have to do the full licence practical test to gain your full NZ Licence.

Quote Originally Posted by dawn View Post
    You can choose which car to take a test in, but if you choose automatic, you will only be able to drive automatic cars. If you choose manual, you will be able to drive both types.
    Is that right? I thought that only applied to the restricted test, not the full test.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    Is that right? I thought that only applied to the restricted test, not the full test.
    If you take your restricted in an automatic, you can only do your full in an automatic. You can only drive automatics.

If you do your restricted in a manual, you can do your full in either. If you choose automatic, you will only be able to drive automatics on a full licence, but manuals on a restricted.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast