Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Licences - Clearing it up once and for all

Quote Originally Posted by dawn View Post
    You can choose which car to take a test in, but if you choose automatic, you will only be able to drive automatic cars. If you choose manual, you will be able to drive both types.
    That's the same as in the UK.

If you do your restricted in a manual, you can do your full in either. If you choose automatic, you will only be able to drive automatics on a full licence, but manuals on a restricted.
    Thanks for replying, Dawn.

I passed my restricted license in a manual, and am trying to decide whether or not to take my full test in a manual. What would it mean, practically, if I were to take my full test in an automatic - would it mean I couldn't carry passengers if I was driving a manual car or that I couldn't drive a manual between 10 pm and 5 am?

(Sorry for all the questions - I've been trying to find this info on Land Transport for ages, but it isn't on there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    Thanks for replying, Dawn.

I passed my restricted license in a manual, and am trying to decide whether or not to take my full test in a manual. What would it mean, practically, if I were to take my full test in an automatic - would it mean I couldn't carry passengers if I was driving a manual car or that I couldn't drive a manual between 10 pm and 5 am?

(Sorry for all the questions - I've been trying to find this info on Land Transport for ages, but it isn't on there.)
    It's ok, I don't mind answering. That is exactly what it would mean, although, if the person in the passenger seat has held a full manual licence for more than 2 years, you can drive between 10pm and 5am and carry passengers.

The stipulation is that you would revert to your restricted for a manual car.

I would recommend everyone take their tests in a manual car, you can drive either then.

Default Excellent info.

I just got my NZ licence today (well, the temp one until the plastic one arrives) after being here for 364 days, got off the boat from the UK on Feb 21st 2008, no problem at all with the licence. Taxed (registration) the car while I was in there as well and you can tax it for 12 months, 6 months, 3 months and I am not sure if you can go below 3 months or not... but 3 is useful if you are selling your car in a month or 2 and it needs taxing (reg-ing or whatever it is called over here).

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    There is one test you have to sit regardless if you have a license and are from one of the okayed countries... an eye test.
    If you do wear glasses for driving you can get a declaration from your optician that can be used instead of having an eye test when you apply for your licence, I got one. You do of course need to have an eye test at your opticians to get the form so if you are getting glasses and applying for your licence then kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovenok View Post
    I get used to drive with changing gears by the right hand, not left
    You will soon get used to it, amongst other things I used to drive an '84 V8 Chevy C10 pickup with a 4 speed manual box (and a clutch that you needed 2 feet to press down), left hand drive and driven on the left hand side of the road in the UK...
    Don't worry, you will soon get used to it.

Thanks again to Dawn for the huge amount of info and the time taken to type it all in.

Cheers

G

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_XR6 View Post

If you do wear glasses for driving you can get a declaration from your optician that can be used instead of having an eye test when you apply for your licence, I got one. You do of course need to have an eye test at your opticians to get the form so if you are getting glasses and applying for your licence then kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

G
    good info, as this is the thing that has been holding me back. I always have trouble with my eye tests as I have stigmatism and although I can see fine for distance etc, when I look at the letters on the test sheet, they wander all over the place! I will have to get to it one of these days soon, but I have never been in the country for more than a year without going overseas, so the one year countdown starts all over again

So how does it work if you arrive with a UK provisional?
    As i understand it, i could "swap" (but not surrender?) my UK provisional for a NZ restricted (or was it a learners?) and then apply for exemption from the 6month wait before sitting the practical?
    is that right? and is the cost different to the straight swap you do with a Full license?

If you take your restricted in an automatic, you can only do your full in an automatic. You can only drive automatics.

If you do your restricted in a manual, you can do your full in either. If you choose automatic, you will only be able to drive automatics on a full licence, but manuals on a restricted.
    You sure? On your full you can drive manual or automatic - regardless of whether it was an auto/manual car you took the test in.

It's only the restricted licence that has this restriction?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Puku View Post
    You sure? On your full you can drive manual or automatic - regardless of whether it was an auto/manual car you took the test in.

It's only the restricted licence that has this restriction?
    That's what it said in the NZTA Driver Licence Agency Manual

How do you know by looking at your license whether you're allowed to drive a manual?? I never took the test and they don't differentiate between them in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    How do you know by looking at your license whether you're allowed to drive a manual?? I never took the test and they don't differentiate between them in the states.
    I'll check on Monday, but I'm almost sure its listed as I class.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast