Thread: Fabricator/welder coming to Christchurch

Question Fabricator/welder coming to Christchurch

Hi all,

Recently submitted my ITA, and i will be arriving in Christchurch late March. Hoping to gain an offer of employment, or set up some interviews before arriving.

I've currently been looking for Fabricator/welder jobs via job agencies, trade-me etc, and contatcting some employers, with no luck up to now.

Wondered if anyone here is in the trade and may be able to advise of any contacts or companies within the Christchurch area worth getting in touch with?

Im 28 yrs old, time served & qualified, with over 11 years experience.

CHEERS

With times being a little tight I suspect you won't get a job offer before you arrive. Being here means a lot! That said, there are literally hundreds of suitable businesses in Chch; the whole city is really based around light engineering so once you arrive start knocking on doors...

wow just noticed the NELINCs sign - where are you from.

I agree with the post from Myles, we have done this and most fab shop owners are used to having overseas inquiries - my husband was one of them and the best advice one gave him at an interview was - go look and find where you want to live - and if you decide Chch is the place come see me when your settled and there will be a job waiting.

well as you can see we live no where near chch

there is a shortage of fab workers in NZ and and tons of varied companies, so far my oh has worked on aluminium boats, Huge trailers, heavy fab & stainless!

so my advice would be come to NZ find the right place for yourself to settle - or work around NZ you will have lots of choice, but the wages vary, and they are notorious at trying to get pommies cheap!

good luck from a former yellow bellie

If you have two arms and two legs and looking for work in Christchurch, look up United group rail. They are based on Ensors road in Linwood. Sorry dont have the phone number you will have to do a little searching. Ring them before you leave the Uk have your CV ready. I guarantee you will get a interview if not a job offer.
    The job would involve maintaining locos but you will need to get qualifications to weld in NZ.

katandbob- wow, I'm still here in Cleethorpes, which part of N.E.Lincs did you all leave behind? Looks like the move is working out well for you!

I've travelled around both islands on holiday over a year ago and since putting things into place to make the move i've decided Chch is the place for me

Knocking on doors upon arrival is my next plan if i havnt managed to set anything up before hand.
    Im hoping actually being there will make a big differance, i will also have a WHV, so will be able to take up work immediatly while waiting for my PR being processed.

Glad to hear first hand about the shortage of fab workers and many companies- i hand my notice in here in 3 weeks time,fly late March and have been getting a little worried about the possability of not finding employment for some time once im in NZ.

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    If you have two arms and two legs and looking for work in Christchurch, look up United group rail. They are based on Ensors road in Linwood. Sorry dont have the phone number you will have to do a little searching. Ring them before you leave the Uk have your CV ready. I guarantee you will get a interview if not a job offer.
    The job would involve maintaining locos but you will need to get qualifications to weld in NZ.
    Hey matt- thanks heaps for the contact, i've recently been trawling the web for companies in Chch to contact and knew nothing about them!

Did a little searching and got all the deat's, will be in touch with them asap.

Cheers

Wink

we escaped Immingham

The one thing I would say about Christchurch is find a nice area to live in then look for fab jobs around the driving time you will do, we hit the problem of that every job OH went for was over an hour drive away from where we wanted to live, and going from a 6min drive to where he worked in Ming it was too much, we live about 20 mins out of Invercargill now, my job is 10 mins away and OH drops me on his way into town. everyone was friendly in CHCH, but I got my dream of land and horses moving down here so alls good.

good luck i am sure you will have to choose which job to take!

Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by uk350 View Post
    katandbob- wow, I'm still here in Cleethorpes, which part of N.E.Lincs did you all leave behind? Looks like the move is working out well for you!

I've travelled around both islands on holiday over a year ago and since putting things into place to make the move i've decided Chch is the place for me

Knocking on doors upon arrival is my next plan if i havnt managed to set anything up before hand.
    Im hoping actually being there will make a big differance, i will also have a WHV, so will be able to take up work immediatly while waiting for my PR being processed.

Glad to hear first hand about the shortage of fab workers and many companies- i hand my notice in here in 3 weeks time,fly late March and have been getting a little worried about the possability of not finding employment for some time once im in NZ.

Thanks for the info