Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IT professional with a HND..

Default IT professional with a HND..

Hello All,

I'm starting the process of applying for a Work to Residence visa from the UK, but I've hit what looks like a brick wall. Hope someone out there can help..

I'm an experienced IT programme manager with over 15 years experience of working the UK Financial sector. Unfortunately my IT university qualification is a HND not a degree - so despite IT project management being on the Long Term Skills Shortage list, it does not qualify me to apply.

I've also got a tentative offer of employment from an Auckland consultancy, but they are a small company and not on the recognised list of employers.

Has anyone been in my situation? ..I really don't want to go back to University!

I'm sure you'll get some suggestions when NZ wakes up.

In the meantime, hello and welcome.

Hi and welcome! How many points do you qualify for w/o bonus points?
    Finding employment before hand is optimal, but sometimes a bit tricky. Many have come to NZ on a visitor's visa and obtained employment then applied. Keep in mind though that seeking employment even while in NZ and with the needed experience can still take 3 months or more. (On the other hand many on here have landed jobs while overseas or within weeks of arrival, just giving the "typical" scenario)
    Good Luck!

Hi there - OH was in IT with lots of experience but didn't have a degree. However he had a HNC in a different subject (building). He got this assessed by NZQA and they assessed it as a level 5 which was enough to get 50 points for a "basic recognized qualification". I don't know if the rules have changed since we got PR in 2007 but it might be something to consider.

If you want to see how we completed our EOI go to our blog and follow the link to EOI.

HTH.

Hi
    Not sure if this will help but OH has HND & HNC one in catering management & one in business studies, these with a job offer for telecoms PM in Wellington all added up to enough points to get PR, we had an offer from an employer that did the talent visa but we decided to do the PR & it all went through very smoothly
    If I can be any further help please PM me as sometimes I tend to miss the updates but will try & look back later in case you need anything further
    hth & best of luck

Default IT HND vs Degree

Hi MS1969.

It looks like the Immigration NZ Ops manual indicates you'll be OK with a 'computing' HND and get 50 points for this.

The following Higher National Certificates and/or Higher National Diplomas awarded by BTEC are assessed as occupying Level 5 of the Register and will therefore qualify for 50 points.

* Agriculture
    * Business
    * Computing
    * Design (Higher National Diploma only)
    * Engineering
    * Hotel, Catering and Institutional Management (Higher National Diploma only)
    * Public Administration.

When we were considering the move I was in exactly the same situation (Business Studies HND) and this was OK for points - however I DID go back to Uni in the evenings, while also working (age 35) and get a degree anyway, because it had been bugging me for years in the UK that I could not apply for some 'graduate' positions. The Uni should be able to give you credit for prior learning experience and allow you to skip a year or two of the degree (although I did not).

I have found that NZ is far more credential oriented than the UK and your education level is much more of an issue here than in the UK. Kiwis will have no idea what an HND is (although the UK expats obviously will).

My UK first class BSc honours in Computing was still only worth 50 points and was assessed by NZQA as only equivalent to an NZ degree without honours because in NZ an honours degree is four years full time study rather than three in the UK. However, in my experience, the education level at a given age in NZ is lower than the UK, across the board. Our kids were about average in the UK, but way advanced compared to NZ kids (in a good school). It has taken the schools about two years to catch up with our kids, who've been 'treading water' for the last two years. The 'full primary' our younger daughter attended until age 13 was basically glorified child-minding. The education 'input rate' is much slower overall, so I don't believe that an NZ 4-year honours degree has any more content than a UK 3-year honours. Anyway that's my NZQA gripe over with.

I wish you luck with which ever option you choose - but it looks to me like you should be OK point-wise with your current HND.

Regards

Thanks folks - it's great to have the opportunity to sound things out.

My points total is 125, so I'm still in the running, but not in the 140+ bracket that I thought I was.

I'm going to set about the Approved Employers list and see if anyone has a vacancy and is willing to sponsor me... Wish me luck!

Of course good luck - but 125 is still more than a lot of people have got in with!

Just in case you didn't know, if you have work experience or a qualification in an area of Long Term Skill Shortage (have a look on NZIS website under LTSSL, but IT falls into this category http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=1) you will usually be selected with anywhere over 100 points. The 140 isn't compulsory for selection, and in fact I've rarely (if at all) seen the selection criteria exclude those with in demand skills or qualifications.

Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated, but everything I read about the LTSS seems to be disclaimed with a level 7 qualification. Experience alone (or my level 5 qualification) doesn't seem to register.

I was put back in the pool three weeks ago and passed over for selection last week.

Any idea how long I will be stuck in the pool? ...seems like I'm a long way from getting anywhere!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast