Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Importing a car from the UK

Margaret

Who knows how much a new model Disco III will depreciate. You can buy them here don't know how much though.

Be aware that if you as a 1st time immigrant to NZ ship a car that you have owned for less than a year you will be liable to GST on it.

I suspect though i can't prove that european cars are cheaper here new than in the UK

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jonSE

I suspect though i can't prove that european cars are cheaper here new than in the UK

Jon
    It probably depends on what make you are talking about. Given the distance they have to be shipped and the small numbers sold the premium cars are likely to be more expensive.

If I wanted to replace my car (Jag XJR) here in NZ it would cost $199k. If I had bought one in the UK and brought it with me I would have paid the equivalent of just under $160k.

At the other end of the scale the 3L X Type Sport Estate is $102k in NZ or $79k in the UK.

If these prices for the UK:-

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehic...price_list.htm

And these for NZ are true then Disco's look cheaper in NZ:-

http://www.aa.co.nz/Section?Action=V...;Story_id=1192

There are some nearly new ones here:-

http://www.roverland.co.nz/landrover/index.html

Thanks Richard - more really useful links.

Emily

I knew there was a good reason why I said I think but I can't prove that Euro cars may be cheaper here - it depends upon the car. Altough you'ld think that "Ford" - in this case Jag and LR would have the same relative difference between here and the UK - but you may as well say the same for Volvo and Aston Martin, also Ford

I think in reality it comes down to what the car has or would cost you in the UK (and is now worth in the UK) plus the shipping, insurance, GST if you have owned for less than a year and entry certification costs (assuming these are purely inspection and paperwork costs - if you have to modify to meet NZ standards the costs could be really silly) versus the loss you may make buy selling in the UK and buying in NZ. Then add in the sentimental value -oh dear.

Check out trademe.co.nz for prices of seconhand cars. Be warned it's not like ebay they also have "non auctions" - ie asking price only is posted - just get in contact just like a classified ad in the newspaper.

Jon

Default Have you imported a day-to-day car from UK?

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I guess the question that we're now asking ourselves is whether it's worth buying a car here in the UK specifically to ship with us. Would it be worth it financially?

I know that we could theorise on this for eternity, but until we set foot in NZ we won't really know if we have done the right thing.

Can anyone who has already shipped a normal car (ie not cherished) say it was a waste of money? I know from the other threads that people have regretted not shipping cars, but it would be nice to know what people who have already done it think.

Many thanks,

Emily

Default Shipping Jeep From UK

Just advise that were are currently awaiting the delivery of our Jeep 2002 from the UK. Before you come out get a certificate of compliance from Chrysler UK. If you give them a call they will give you the fax number where you send the vehicle details to and then in a few days they send you the documents.

Beware that if you use a door to port service the New Zealand shipping agentswill sting your for $350.00 tio do the customs forms and $250 for the MAF inspections. The MAF charge is actually $40.00 and easy enought to do your self. The customs is also the same.

In NZ you have to have a vehicle compliance check which is $350.00 and then the first years registration including plates is about another $300.00 but cheaper each year there after. Also you will need to arrnge transport from the shipper to the certification centre which for me will cost about $50.00.

It sounds like a lot but all jsut falls into place.

Drop me a line if you need further answers.

Just a word of warning. We used a shipping company called United Movers International. They gaave us a price to ship everything and then failed to pack the container properly, left half our stuff behind without telling us and then charged us for second container that will be only half full. Basically they are note a competent company and should be avoided.

Thanks for the info - we're still trying to decide what to do.

Sounds like you've had a difficult time with you shippers (re the other thread) - how on earth can they do that to you? All the best with getting it sorted,

Emily

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12