Thread: Medical Waiver - Advice please!

Default Medical Waiver - Advice please!

Please accept my apologies for my first contribution to this forum being to ask for advice rather than comment on other peoples threads.

We have submitted our ITA but have received an email from our case officer Clare Simmons saying the following regarding our son -

The medical assessor has advised that Ryan James does not meet the acceptable standard of health for entry to New Zealand on the basis that he is likely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand’s health services or special education services as follows:

‘The applicant has a condition9s) listed in Appendix 10 which is considered to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealand’s health and/or education services.’
    Specifically the medical assessor has noted:
    ‘1. Refractory epileptic seizures, probable temporal lobe origin, complicated by apnoea. Appendix 10.
    2. Moderate learning disabilities probably requiring special educational support.’

We pretty much expected this when we submitted our ITA, but had hoped the information we had submitted would have been sufficient in terms of consultants, and head masters letters.

Our next step is to apply for a medical waiver. Would be really grateful to hear from others who have had to apply for the waiver as to what additional information you have supplied, particularly in respect of one of the considering factors “whether your potential contribution to New Zealand will be significant”.

By this am I right in thinking they are asking, “What do WE offer New Zealand”. With wife being a nurse, with job offer and principal applicant and me a qualified electrician should we emphasising this when submitting additional information. I should add neither of us has more than 2 years experience as we both retrained with a view to migrating.

When submitting additional information, in people’s opinion, do NZIS prefer bullet points outlining facts or should we go into great detail and provide info about ourselves in terms of character, views, outlooks in life etc.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Good luck to all those also on the emotional roller coaster.

Best regards

Muzz333

Hi,

welcome to the forum.

There was a recent posting by Britzy about how their determination got them through...have a look at http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23283

I am sure Britzy and other forum members in a similar situation as yourself will be along soon and will help you out with any questions.

HTH,
    Julie

Welcome to the forum.

I'd echo what Julie just said - other people have come through this kind of situation. They'll be around later, when NZ wakes up. Good luck.

Hi Muzz333 I think we will be in the same boat shortly. We submitted on 9 Feb and await a response. What are they asking you tot do now? I agree with others; pm Helen -'Britzy' They are the poster family for us of what can be achieved with dedication, determination and a good immigration lawyer. Don't give up. We also need another positive story so that we can join you and Helen's family in NZ and have one big party!!!!
    Regards
    Jen

Thanks for the welcome.

Jent, they have said we will be now be considered for a medical waiver and to submit additional supporting information by 17 March. They stated that based upon current information supplied we are unlikely to be successful with application for medical waiver.
    Having read and been inspired by Blitzy's story, and am hoping she comes on soon and feels able to offer advice.

Good luck with you application, havegot fingers crossed for you

Hello
    I can totally appreciate your circumstances and any help I can offer please ask.How old is your son?.Where do you intend on settling?
    Anyway can I stress that every case is individual but you do have alot to offer New Zealand being a nurse like myself and an electrician.Yes you do need to stress what YOU can offer New Zealand.
    However we would not have been able to produce a such a good quality arguement without our lawyer,he guided us through every step of the way.The timing was important as was the responses and the fact that he put forward the medical waiver submission at the right time.We had to collect alot of data about ourselves and submit it with his lenghty medical waiver documentation.It was incredibly draining and all the way along it looked like we wouldn't get through.
    Start collecting letters of support for both of you from family,friends work collegues all saying how highly thought of you are and what a huge contribution you will make to NZ,you can do personal statements,collect evidence of financial security,ensure all your sons reports are up to date and be carefully in what you submit.Also if you can find anything that states either of you have achieved anything of recognizable significance,ie awards for your work this would be good.You need to show how outstanding you both are. You literally need to find as much as possible about yourselves to submit.We thought there was no way we could produce anything further for NZIS but its surprising what you can find if you are desperate.
    I wish you all the luck in the world,Having come out the other end its brilliant and we leave soon for New Zealand,everything is sorted for our daughter and things have been so easy to sort the other end,ie ORRS funding and schooling.
    Good luck
    Helen

Hi muzz33
    Welcome to the forum and hope it all goes well with yous

Natasha

Default how frustrating

hi

i can't offer any words of wisdom.

We have had to provide lots of additional info for our son who has dylsexia and that is worrying enough from a "how on earth can they turn us down because of dyslexia" kind of way. your situation puts my worries into prespective.

the support you get on the forum will get you through this stage. you will be suprised who comes out of the wood work with all kinds of advice and support.

chin up!

Willow you're right, these forums do sometimes rekindle your faith in human kindness during what is a stressful time even if you have a straight forward application.
    Throw into the mix a medical referal, and the stress levels go through the roof when you start considering medical waivers. But as i keep saying the wife, if it was that easy, everyone would be applying and it would not be so special when you get those little blue stickers.

Thanks to Britzy and others who have helped to keep us sane and provided invaluable support and advice.

the only good side of having to face more hurdles, more stress and more uncertainty, is its the perfect excuse for more red wine lol

Good luck to all those involed in the nightmare known as emigrating

Would it be acceptable to offer to take out private medical insurance to cover Ryan's condition?