Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Construction and Contracting Requirements

Default Construction and Contracting Requirements

Hello Everyone!

I want to start by saying, "Thanks" for all of the great information about making the big move. I have searched this and other forums, but have been unable to find specific information regarding the licensing of builders and contractors in New Zealand.

I have a construction company in the U.S. that is licensed for residential and commercial construction in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon and Utah. I've built everything from single-family homes to theaters and hotels. Our specialty has been "green" and "sustainable" construction for over twenty years. I am selling my company and hoping to move to New Zealand, obtain the necessary licenses,and start my own company.

I'm wondering:

1) Is this possible under the Skilled Migrant or other immigration category?
    2) Can I start my own business or must I work for another company to obtain the requisite experience?
    3) Does it make more sense to try to find a like-minded company and try to get a job with them and forget about having my own company again?

I can't imagine not working in the industry, but I certainly don't want a large company again. Thanks in advance.

Yosarian

Hello and welcome.

On your point 1, the Skilled Migrant scenario is for people who are intending to be employed. There's a different category of visa for people who want to set up in business for themselves, and here's the link. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branch/BMBHome/ltbv/

I've no idea whether your US licences would mean that you could quickly establish similar ones in NZ, but I have seen various tradesmen here telling about having to undergo NZ-specific training. I expect someone will have an answer for you when they see your question.

Oh, look what I just found. http://www.dbh.govt.nz/licensing-update-issue-1 It seems that a licensing scheme is only now being introduced. The page offers links to specific information that will undoubtedly mean more to you than it does to me. Good luck!

Great info, thanks! Quite a bit of good will and helpfulness on this board. Well done. I'll keep you posted.

Good luck!

Yes, please do let us know what you find out. It'll be in the system for when someone else follows in your footsteps, maybe.

Default New Zealand efficiency!

The efficiency, civility, and professionalism with which my questions have been addressed is remarkable.

A special "thank you" to JandM for pointing me in right direction. I emailed the Department of Building and Housing with my questions about using my work experience and licensing in Mexico and the United States to start a business in New Zealand with the ultimate goal of becoming a resident.

Ruth Bowater responded to me email within several hours and provided exactly the information I was looking for. It applies primarily to the skilled construction trades: http://www.dbh.govt.nz/is-licensing-for-me .

I was flabbergasted to discover that New Zealand has not yet standardized a mandatory licensure program, but it would appear that it will be one of the most well reasoned programs I have seen.

The logical steps in my case are to apply for a LTBV (Long Term Business Visa)

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/

With the LTBV I must submit a business plan, proof of financial preparedness, english proficiency, etc.. Assuming this all goes well, I will be allowed 9 months to get my bearings and take care of the basics: bank accounts, office space, marketing/advertising, etc.

If I perform as required and outlined in my business plan and in accordance with the LBTV, the visa may be extended up to three years and ulitimately converted to an Entrepenuer Residence Permit.

I look forward to visiting in the next few months and exploring your beautiful country with the hope of returning permanently. I will continue to update as things move along. Thanks again.

Fair Winds,

Yosarian

Welcome to the forum. We're new here and have been looking at houses for the past 6 weeks (new, old, and building our own) and I think NZ could use some quality builders!

This is excellent news! Thanks for the update, and good luck with your plans.

Yosarian, thanks for posting your finds. I have a bit of a dream, getting my contractor uncle to move to NZ after us and build us a house, so now I have more fuel to bug him with!

Nice to hear that there may be some demand for a builder! Definitely a reasonably important part of my business plan!

FYI: If things go as I hope, I will need clients and co-workers once I get up to speed. I hope it doesn't seem egotistical or arrogant, but I thought I would share how we've been doing business in the US. I am humbled and grateful for my good fortune and truly hope the following is taken in that spirit.

I guarantee my residential projects in writing for the life of my company or the life of yours truly, whichever is around longer! I'm a third generation builder and love what I do.

I build with only renewable materials (rammed earth, ICF's, straw Bale, concrete, farmed frame) and use passive/active solar, wind, rainwater catchment, etc., but only when it makes sense. There has been far too much "greenwashing" going on the past few years. Responsible building doesn't have to be expensive or complicated- it also doesn't have to be unsophisticated or unattractive.

We've got hundreds of houses under our belts and haven't had a formal complaint or lawsuit...ever. We've made plenty of mistakes, but learned from them, fixed them, and moved on. I try to only build for people I would share a meal with. Many have become friends, a few have become people I wished I hadn't built for, but all have taught us something about managing people with as much diligence as managing budgets.

We have never advertised, we don't have a website, our telephone number is unpublished nor in the phone book. People have found us by word of mouth and referral because of our reputation. We encourage potential clients to speak to past clients.

We build for a set percentage and don't charge for changes. We do not mark up labor or materials....ever. We show the client every check we write and every bid and contract we have with our subcontractors.

If we are under budget, I encourage the client to share a bit of the savings with a charity like Habitat for Humanity or the local library. It sounds like a marketing ploy, or even complete hogwash, but it's true and has worked out most of the time.

It's a crazy business plan in the states and many said I would be out of business years ago. I'm curious to see if it will work elsewhere. Feel free to share your thoughts and criticisms....I'm open-minded and have very thick skin. Thanks again to you all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast