Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that thinks New World is affordable & cheapest in NZ?

Default Am I the only one that thinks New World is affordable & cheapest in NZ?

I know they are individually owned but I shop at the one at the Bishopdale mall in Christchurch and I think it's very cheap. My wife and in laws all say I'm crazy and that it is dearer! They all shop at Pak N Save What do you think what shops do you think are good? does anyone agree with me though about New World or Am I nuts

dunno about your mental state, but I definitely didn't find Pak 'n Save any cheaper than any of the others, so you could be right!

I find shopping quite cheap anyway. At first I get a near heart attack: "What, $20 for those few little items????" and then I realise it's $ not £ So far I have found that at the end of the month there is still some money left rather that in the Uk when I found that at the end of my money there was still some month left!

I think it depends what items you're shopping for. Individual stores (as well as chains) have their preferred lines that are better value. If those happen to be what you're looking at, then you'll come away with a good opinion of the place.

Honestly, I found groceries in New Zealand to be very expensive compared to what I was used to, but then I was comparing them to prices in the States, so that's really not reasonable. But I do agree that there didn't seem to be THAT much of a price difference between Pak 'N Save and New World, and really on the whole NW was much better in terms of quality for money. The only places where I found this to not be the case was when shopping at extremely centrally-located urban stores like the one in Wellington CBD or Auckland down the hill from Nelson Street. I guess they don't standardise prices across the country, so depending on how expensive rent is in the area, they'll probably reflect that in the prices. But out in the boondocks? Definitely not much difference.

I don't really care for the new worlds near me, but I find while Pak and Save isn't always better on prices for general stuff they usually have a better selection than my local countdown.
    For fruit veggies and often meat I find I usually can't beat Raewards. Funky Pumpkin usually beats them but they are all on the other side of town from me. Sometimes the Mad Butcher is ok for meat (certainly for dog food meat at any rate, except for Raewards 60c for 5 chicken frames, can't beat that) but once again on the other side of town

New World doesn't seem to carry many organic fruit and veges- we like the new Liberty store in chch though.

They may be locally owned and operated but both New World and Pak'n'Shove both use the same food distributer (Foodstuffs). So they have the same products and can of course sell them at the same price.

Personally find our local Pak'n'Save to be way cheaper than any of the local New Worlds for the weekly shop. Would also say that from a price comparison perspective Pak'n'Save win more awards for the cheapest basket.

Still I'm sure that there must be some New Worlds that would work out just as cheap.

Ian

I have been noticing a few weird things lately in the supermarkets....

- Buying a loaf of bread from our bakery round the corner - one loaf = $1.90
    Buying bread from P & S or even a dairy (the prepacked, extra vitamin, calcium, omega3 blah blah sliced stuff) - one loaf = $4.15

What the? If a tiny little bakery can bake bread and still make a profit by charging $1.90, who exactly is making the MASSIVE profit off other bread?

also, in a BP Service station:

600ml buddy bottle of coke - $3.30
    1.5 L bottle of coke - $3.20
    The store clerk couldn't explain this one either?

Meat - places like the mad butcher, aussie butcher etc etc seem to have better quality and better prices than the supermarkets...

Have we all fallen victim of gross brainwashing? We have all over the years been tempted into using supermarkets for their 'one stop shop' efficiency, but are we now just getting hugely ripped off by them?
    I am going to conduct an experiment...

I am going to do a shop of fruit, veg and meat at small privately owned store, and buy the same in P &S which is supposed to be the cheapest... and compare the prices... and I will expose them!!!

I'm afraid I'd always a little bit more to shop in a nicer envioroment, I do go to Pak n Save but just for things I know are mostly cheaper like Pams nappies & infant formula otherwise I avoid it & shop at Woolies as it's just nearer & nicer

Quote Originally Posted by BkyMonster View Post
    I don't really care for the new worlds near me, but I find while Pak and Save isn't always better on prices for general stuff they usually have a better selection than my local countdown.
    For fruit veggies and often meat I find I usually can't beat Raewards. Funky Pumpkin usually beats them but they are all on the other side of town from me. Sometimes the Mad Butcher is ok for meat (certainly for dog food meat at any rate, except for Raewards 60c for 5 chicken frames, can't beat that) but once again on the other side of town

There's a Raewards on the corner of Ensors and Ferry road isn't that not far from you if I remember rightly from your previous posts or have you moved now ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast