Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine options for neurotic dog/owner

Default Quarantine options for neurotic dog/owner

Hello to all,

I have researching in earnest the details of relocating to New Zealand under the LTBV. I am scheduled to visit soon and was planning on bringing along my hound. If all goes well, we will be relocating permanently in a few months.

And now for the rub.

I have a thirteen year old Yellow Labrador that I adopted six years ago. He had been horribly abused by his previous owners and he took some time to come around. Now we are virtually inseparable. So much so that he becomes despondent in my absence.

I am self employed so have taken him with me everywhere for six years. We are seldom apart for more than eight hours. The only time I had to leave him due to an emergency was for six days at a very nice boarding facility. He didn't eat, whimpered constantly, chewed his paw open, etc.. The facility had to have the vet visit him and give him an IV.

Has anyone heard of any options to the thirty day facility quarantine (we're from mainland U.S. so we are not eligible for home quarantine). I wanted to test the waters before I plead my case to Biosecurity New Zealand. I was hoping for an exemption such that he could be at home quarantine with me, or perhaps there was a facility that would allow me to sleep there or have daily access.

I know I sound completely off my rocker (partly true) and partly out of my mind (completely true), but if I can't find and option such as I've mentioned, I will have to delay my plans until my partner in crime chases his last ball.

Thanks

That's not off your rocker. That's recognizing the needs of another family-member (who happens to be a different shape).

I haven't heard of any exceptions being made, though I believe there's something Americans can do, involving spending some time in Hawaii en route - try putting Hawaii into the Search option (on the blue bar above).

Anyway, I know there have been several US forumites who have used quarantine facilities recently - they'll be able to tell you what and where, and what they're like. I'm sure I saw forum member Dilanium (Liz) speak of making frequent visits to her cat. You might try PMing her. She may also know about Hawaii - she's in vet school, so she's well up on the regulations concerning animals.

You are EVERYWHERE JandM!!! Moderator extraordinaire. I'll try your suggestions....I did multiple searches.....really!!!!! And once again, many thanks.

I've got a magpie memory - picks up bits and pieces for no special reason!

With a bit longer time, I found that our Search didn't do anything very helpful, BUT I've found these pages elsewhere - there may be something of use that you can follow up. It looks as if, if you follow the procedure, you can go straight into Hawaii without quarantine, then you can bring the dog direct from Hawaii to NZ without quarantine. What I don't see is if there's a qualifying time you have to spend in Hawaii before the onward trip - logically, I would think so.

http://www.enz.org/moving-pets-to-new-zealand.html
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_re...U.S._to_Hawaii (and as it tells you, it's the same for ALL dogs, regardless of the title)

Let me see, what was the members name who was going to Hawaii...
    Here we go
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16055
    iirc the time in Hawaii is 6 months... so if you can afford to live in Hawaii for 6 months then there you go.
    Pethaven was really nice, though I doubt they would let you sleep there. I've also heard great things about Shado Lans and Canterbury Quarantine and if we'd known we wouldn't end up in Auckland I would have used one of those instead just so we could visit more. I'd also say if your dog is not accustomed to being crated and you aren't feeling he could manage it then you may just want to wait as they have to be crated for a good 18-20 hours at least as part of the flight and pre flight USDA inspection (where you can't really go).
    I really thought my dogs would have huge issues with the move and...found out that most of the neuroses they display are for my benefit as seeing them before they saw me they were having a grand old adventure.

You need to do six months in Hawaii to get around the quarantine.

The quarantine facilities (Shado-Lans) where I quarantined my cat are very nice- and you can visit as often as you like (and believe me, my cat was deliriously happy when we visited him, but then we left him with friends in the states for a few months to be able to finish up the vet work he needed before coming over).

If you look here: http://gallery.me.com/rawsoncj#10015...lack&view=grid
    you will see the pictures of one of the cat quarantine facilities. Those rooms we were in was all for our cat. The dogs had more room than the cats- though for a yellow lab it will feel cramped regardless.

You will not be able to get a home quarantine exception unless you know people really high up in biosecurity and pull some major strings. You can't even do the quarantine in the US prior to bringing the pet over.

Best of luck with everything.

Thanks for the helpful info. Joe travels well in a crate so a day or two of craziness would be o.k., it's the separation that would crush the little (115 lb) fella. I failed to mention that we spent almost a year sleeping together on the floor right after I got him. He had one knee replaced followed by a six month recovery (TPLO) and then blew out the other one for another six month floor party.

I'm exploring the Hawaii option as I have some clients that have a vacation house there that they have kindly offered to me. My concern is hitting the ground in New Zealand site unseen. I think that a reconnaissance trip of less than a few weeks would be time poorly spent, so it looks like the hound and I may just show up and wing it.

I've completed the business plan and most of the associated paperwork for the LTBV application and was planning on submitting next week. I need to talk to them and see if it is premature considering a 6 month Hawaiian detour (I might fail to mention the reason for our delay).

Alternatively, I am exploring the option of arriving by sailboat as cruisers. It appears that it may be possible but with a quarantine inspection every 48 hours and mandatory notification if you we so much as change slips. I would rather be on the water for six months as part of our adventure than killing time in Hawaii.

It's a lot to think about with two very divergent game plans. Feel free to launch the "you're crazy" grenade or cheers of support. Although we aren't easily coerced, we are happily persuaded. Thanks for the continued support.
    Cheers.

There have been a few people arriving by boat, but I didn't get anything useful (names) to turn up in a search. I don't recall anyone with animals via boat any time in the past year or two since I've been reading the forum, but could be wrong. (There must be a way as I somehow doubt livestock are flown in and I know they occasionally get imported from places other than Australia)
    Certainly something to check out with the MAF. In my experience they are helpful and generally nice people. Can't hurt to email them. (Or wade through the documentation, either way )

Likewise - I don't remember reading of anyone arriving with an animal by this route in my time here.

I know it's okay to have an animal confined on a moored yacht, notifying the authorities, etc. etc., but I'm not sure that those regulations are equivalent to quarantine that eventually lets the animal go free into NZ - I believe they're aimed at international sailors who intend to go on somewhere else, and their dog or cat never does come ashore. I can see the attraction if you can make it work, though (Except, how would you get him enough exercise on board? Wouldn't that perhaps be frustrating for both of you?). Let us know what you find out!

I know horses are flown in but I think the person I knew who did it had quarantined her horse in the states before coming over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast