Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Days In

Default 10 Days In

We have been in Tauranga for a week now and settling in quite well. It was good to meet up with some other forumites on the 21st and look forward to seeing them all again soon. One of the main things we have been doing is trailing around looking at rental properties but to no avail, there are some lovely rentals out here but we have yet to find the one with our name on it. The decision to rent was not taken lightly but we decided it would be better to do so for the first 6 to 12 months and making sure that its where we want to live rather than buying something and regretting it. The economic climate is similar here to the UK and house prices have not yet bottomed out so we think it would be silly to buy at the moment whatever the circumstances.

Los Angeles was a bit of a mare too many people and very little time to get through the processes and the flight out here was an endurance test but we coped really well all considered. Air New Zealand was great and the inflight entertainment kept us going and the food was probably the best airline food i have tasted. We arrived in Auckland jet-lagged, picked up the hire car and found Paulís (our nephews place) in St Heliers. We spent a couple of nights with him and his wife Dianne in Auckland and those days were useful as we opened our bank accounts & looked for a car to buy. We settled on a Toyota Rav 4 like the hire car but much better and pick it up this Friday.

Drove down to Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty on the Wednesday, approximately 240 kilometres from Auckland, which included 40 minutes spent in a traffic jam for a road accident, (itís the same the whole world over) Our holiday cottage is set on a hill with spectacular views over the river valley. First morning really lovely with mist in the valley second morning not so lovely when the tropical cyclone hit from the Tasman Sea as it poured with rain, really heavy rain which did not last for too long. Since then it has been sunny every day, glorious weather.

We have been driving around the town getting to know the place whilst looking for our rental and have come across some really nice, what they call reserves, picnic areas which are usually overlooking the bay with picnic benches, free use of gas bbqís, a choice of grass or beach to sit on, depending on the tide, all very picturesque and well maintained by the local council. Traffic seems to move very sedately here, most drivers are very courteous and laid back. One of our favourite road signs which you see when you go from two lanes to one states ďMerge like a ZipĒ and its amazing because everyone does. All the people we have met so far are extremely friendly and chatty and things seem to be going to plan, lets hope it continues.

We have done a lot of drive by's looking for somewhere to rent. The agents suggest this all the time, you see a property on the internet or on one of the agents flyers they have and call them they say "have you been for a drive by" if you havenít they say do that and then if still interested give us a call. We must admit it does work as some of the ones we have seen are real dogs and ones that we thought would be dogs have been really good and in nice streets too.

Talking of dogs we finally get to collect our Paddy from Auckland on Saturday morning. We havenít seen him since the 31 January a whole month and its seemed such a long time. We are both looking forward to having him with us again. It will be the same flight we took out of Heathrow via LA so he will be in his wooden travel box for about 36 hours all told as he will be taken from Shropshire down to the airport before boarding the flight which is due to take off at 3.45 pm on Thursday afternoon and arriving in Auckland on Saturday morning. You cross the international date line so lose a day. He arrives at 7.25 am and we will be at the airport to pick him up so we will be back in St Heliers on Friday night for another overnight visit with our nephew and his wife. There is already talk of them coming down to Tauranga for the jazz and blues festival at Easter which isnít that long away and the cottage we have has a spare room so it promises to be a jolly weekend all in all.

I would like to thank Barb and Michael (Mickstim) for your help and hospitality we hope to see more of you in the future. We also heard yesterday evening that we have got a rental acceptance for Welcome Bay and all we need to do is get the form completed cross the t's and dot the i's. It was a no dog zone but once they saw pics of our Paddy the owners agreed that we and he are the "right sort" and gave the ok for us.

Still feels like there is lots to do but we sure are enjoying being here our new adventure has started very well for us everything is falling into place nicely
    Will post again when we have been here a month.

glad to here things are going well have fun with Paddy they soon forgive you for the time spent away within half an hour of landing our dog was already giving us his ball to say say come on then you have had a rest its play time! no jet lag!

Default exciting!

i read your post and it gave me butterflies in my tummy! Hopefully very soon we will be "merging like a zip" and collecting our pooch from the airport. it was interesting to hear your first few days..........keep posting!

All sounds good! Glad you are settling.

Hey Annie - well done! So are you going to be our neighbour? Lots of activity going on there so we were wondering if it was for you. Give us a call or pop by and let us know what's happening - I don't have a contact number for you. Enjoy your reunion with Paddy and we hope to see you soon.

Bx

Great post sounds as though your settling in well, hope Paddy has a great flight as I'm sure their will be a few tears when you pick him up

That is been interesting ...
    Good luck

Hi Catt,
    Thanks for sharing your great experience to us.
    We are still awaiting the result of our Interview with CO from Beijing and hoping to get at least a WTR invite, although PR would be preferable. If given a chance, we are seriously considering moving to Tauranga area. There seem to be a lot of nice feedback and great potential about the area, including future developments plans. I've learned these info from Priority One website. Hope you to hear more from you about Tauranga

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty69 View Post
    Great post sounds as though your settling in well, hope Paddy has a great flight as I'm sure their will be a few tears when you pick him up
    Oh, yes. All the best.

Sounds like you've done so much already Catt Great post and looking forward to hearing more

Karenx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast